Cost of RO membranes?

Sharkey18

So what gives with the varying prices of RO membranes? 

Kent Marines TFC is 100 bucks, but Captive purity is $35. Spectra pure is somewhere in between but closer to the low end. 

Are the kent marines that much higher value? 

I know i can get them less expensively. 

What i am wondering is is there a real difference in quality or are they all about the same. 

Great question Laura. I recently replaced mine with an eBay special, and from what I can tell they are exactly the same. My TDS meter still reads zero on the output, so I am happy with the cheap version.

I had a cheap ebay version and ended up with 0 readings on my tests but hair algae.  I ended up going w/my good but still cheap ebay vendor and it was good.  They are filterdirect.   I think it's a great value. Feel free to email them b/c their customer service seems great.

I'm looking for a membrane soon also, lmk if you want to go in on shipping!

Hair algae is probably not due to the RO membrane. I believe that phosphate is small enough to pass through and it is your DI that will catch it after the membrane. Worst case, treat it with a GFO chamber somewhere along the way.

There aren't that many manufacturers of RO membranes but Dow and GE all make good ones (Filmtec as well, not sure if they are simpky a brand name versus a manufacturer). My guess is at the Kent model is probably manufactured by one of those companies and that they simpky brand it as a Kent unit or they have proprietary housings so it will only fit theirs.