JeffG's 75 Gallon Rimless

JeffG93

Hey all!  I'm finally going around to showing off my tank.  I've been in the hobby for 6 years straight now, I upgraded to the build below in April 2012, so my tank is now 2.5 years old.

I've had ups and downs but things are finally settled.  After a recent tank leak (which caused over $17,000 damage to my house), I got some help from King of Corals and moved it to my basement.

Sorry for the blue iPhone shots, my wife promises me she'll photograph some good shots using our Macro lens soon. Pics in the next post.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out, I love feedback and suggestions.  I'll post a livestock list and I'm happy to answer any questions.  

Tank Build:

75 Gallon Rimless

30 gallon sump

Lighting:

2 AI Vega’s – 8 hours/day at max of about 60%, mostly blues

1 2x54W T5 – 6 hours/day one ATI Purple Plus, one ATI Blue Plus

Flow:

1 MP40, 2 MP10s set to ecosmart mode

Filtration:

1 Sock, Reef Octopus MWB150 Skimmer, Dose Vinegar (70 ml/Day), ¼ Cup GFO/month, ½ Cup Rox Carbon/month.  I also automate a slow 8% water change per day using a dual head Stenner peristalitic pump

Other:

30 Gallon ATO plumbed into my RO/DI unit.

Dose BRS 2 Part on peristaltic pumps.  Also dose Red Sea Max Colors once per week.

Edited by JeffG93

Looks great! After $17k worth of damage and still having a tank, I was going to remark you must not be married! Then you said your wife was going to take photos for you! Nice tank!

Looking good. I like everything's "placement." I have to imagine in another year once everything fills in perfectly, it will be the true phenomenal work of art you are expecting it to be. 

I'm a little scared for the growth honestly.  Quality problems, I know.  I'm already fragging out so many corals right now so they don't drown out others.  I'll have another big round available soon.

Thanks for the kind words!

What type of coral is that on the first post, the third picture down? The coral is purple with pink polyps. Absolutely gorgeous tank!

What type of coral is that on the first post, the third picture down? The coral is purple with pink polyps. Absolutely gorgeous tank!

That's actually "Meteor Shower" Cyphestrea.  One of my favorite corals.  Underal normal light it's more of a blue/teal with pink polyps - the iphone makes everything more violet.

I have a emerald green one with red polyps as well that I brought back from the dead.  Great, low light, encrusting coral.

Thanks again for all the kind words.  

Caught this little f*$%er after he munched one of my deepwater acros and moved onto a big birdnest.  I had to take the whole rock out of my tank, chisel it in half, but I got him.  He put up a good fight, I ripped off both his pincers before I found him for a third time and was able to yank him.

This guy somehow survived a dip too.  99% sure he came of a maricultured frag.  I'm so done with those.  

Tank is all back together.  Upside is i have room for another acro ;)

9462AD3F-0326-4EE3-98B7-7C354F8ED6E8.jpg

Holy cow. Looks like you ripped about every limb off it sans 3.

\

I sump everything like that. 

Great looking tank! I love the diversity of the corals. That is one big Setosa ( I think), I know it is somewhat common, but I love that coral.