Red Bubble Tip Anemone changed to Green

zygote2k

The XL RBTA in the 500 has turned to green. 3 months ago, I added a green LTA and last month I added a GBTA. Now the red one has followed suit and is green.

Anyone ever seen this before?

No dye here. RBTA had been in tank for past 3 years and has split numerous times and always produced red clones. The GLTA came from Isaac. One thing in particular is that theres a pair of Tomato Clowns who live in the RBTA. Upon introduction of the GLTA, the female would wander back and forth between them and have since laid eggs  between them. I'm wondering if there has been some sort of green protein swapping going on by the clownfish. The GLTA protein is stronger than the RBTA and overwhelms it.

The only way I can prove this theory is to remove the RBTA and see if it turns back to red. I wonder if future clones will be mixed colors or just red/green?

I do know that sudden cold water additions tend to make them split, it doesn't surprise me that other stressors can induce a color change.

The GLTA came off a split, I saw the other one. I had it from the size of a silver dollar to what it is now in the tank Rob maintains (an appetizer plate size, perhaps?) it has been green from the start.

FWIW, I had an RBTA right by it for about a year, and my clowns switched off. I don't believe they are mated though, in my new tank they have parted ways for about a month +.

This is only validating to your theory, but I would agree, pull the newly turned GBTA and see if it reverts. Or manually propagate it and sell it as a rare Red2GreenBTA hybrid, only $500.