What to use to test water?

edress714

Alkalinity:

Primary: Hanna Checker

Backups: Red Sea Pro & API

Quick & dirty: API (calibrated against my Hanna Checker)

Calcium:

Primary: Red Sea Pro / Salifert

Backup: API

(Note: I have a Hanna checker but have heard that it's very difficult to get consistent readings. I've yet to use it with a modified protocol sent to me by Hanna because the other options are fine.)

Magnesium:

Primary: Red Sea Pro (lately) / Salifert

Backup: Seachem

Phosphate / Phosphorus: (infrequent use)

Primary: Hanna Checker

Backup: Salifert 

Nitrate / Ammonia: (Very infrequent use - just used to investigate & flag problems)

Primary: API (I have a Salifert on the shelf for Nitrate, too.)

^nailed it. I have also heard about trouble with the Hanna checkers for calcium, and very infrequently use my phosphorus Hanna.

Hannah for alk

Salifert for Ca

Used Red Sea before but just way to inconsistent on my part to get good consistent results. Flat out user error most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannah for Alk

Hannah or salifert for Ca

Playing around with some Triton mail off tests I picked up at MACNA. Interesting so far...

HgrReefs: I'm interested in hearing more about this when you get results. Post something in Member Discussion or Product Reviews when you get the chance. I talked at some length with Ehsan (President of Triton) at MACNA this year and about how his analysis software worked. It would be interesting to hear about what you get back from the testing.

For a little history: I used to avoid Red Sea test kits because, like Hopeitlives, the results were inconsistent and just plain bad. Because of experiences I had with their kits about 10 years ago, I simply stopped using them. However, I became curious in the last year when I saw the Red Sea Pro line of tests and I picked up a kit from Quantum Reefs when they were running a sale. My experience with that kit gives me results that are consistent with the results that I get from my Salifert kits. Bottom line: I'm liking the new Pro line of kits (so far) but still avoid the older, regular kits because. wrong or right, I still don't trust them.

HgrReefs: I'm interested in hearing more about this when you get results. Post something in Member Discussion or Product Reviews when you get the chance. I talked at some length with Ehsan (President of Triton) at MACNA this year and about how his analysis software worked. It would be interesting to hear about what you get back from the testing.

For a little history: I used to avoid Red Sea test kits because, like Hopeitlives, the results were inconsistent and just plain bad. Because of experiences I had with their kits about 10 years ago, I simply stopped using them. However, I became curious in the last year when I saw the Red Sea Pro line of tests and I picked up a kit from Quantum Reefs when they were running a sale. My experience with that kit gives me results that are consistent with the results that I get from my Salifert kits. Bottom line: I'm liking the new Pro line of kits (so far) but still avoid the older, regular kits because. wrong or right, I still don't trust them.

I'll try to get something up in the next day or two. Alright if I post up the results sheets I got?

I'll try to get something up in the next day or two. Alright if I post up the results sheets I got?

Yes. Start a new thread, though, in the appropriate forum.

Does anybody know when the new optical readers are going to be for sale?  The kind where you put a drop of water on a handheld gizmo and it tells you nearly everything through light refraction or some other scientific method too complicated for me to understand?  I've heard about two different companies about to bring them to market but as far as I know they aren't on the market yet.