Quang's Nuvo 24

quang

sup wamas! just wanted to share a FTS of my nuvo24 i took today. this is my first time using an SLR so its probably not as nice as it could be.

tank started May 2014

@4 months:

FTS20140930.jpg

Here are some quick specs on the setup:

nuvo 24

radion's 18 inches above water

tunze 9002 skimmer

ato using dual inline toms aqualifters

2 little fishes reactor 150 w/gfo

wp10 wavemaker on a timer

purigen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the IM16g , I would love to have the 24! They did not have it when I bought my 16.

Your tank looks awesome!

thanks everyone! i had a lot of rock left over from a 65gallon setup and picked all the most detailed pieces i could find when i moved out of that tank. the wide 36" view of the nuvo24 definitely helps it have that panoramic look

also just got done with the green hair algae phase by running GFO and adding a clean up crew, i think the tiny blue legged crabs and turbo snails did the most damage to the hair algae.. but either way not a spec left and its been holding like this for about a month now.

I was just looking through some old pictures and found some old pics of my corals... i decided to compare it to today and see how progress is going.. i would say progress is slow but steady--im happy they are growing tho!

Vivid Rainbows:

Started off with 3-4 heads and now i counted over 9

BA-001.jpg

Watermelons / Eagle eyes?

Not sure which ones i have, but these grow insanely fast!

BA-002.jpg

Really friggen bright Trumpets: 

I think i have 9 heads now.. these grow pretty fast

BA-003.jpg

Frogspawn:

ok progress, the stem recently broke off so its sitting on a little nub now, notice the dead acan skeleton to the right.. may have died due to too much light but who knows

BA-004.jpg

Red Blastomussa:

I would have to say, that although not a fast grower, this thing is a survivor.. its been through 3 different tanks, i started off with only 2 heads. crabs always rotate/move this frag so the angle is different in the before/after pic

BA-005.jpg

Darth Vader paly/zoa:

The color definitely changed on this one to more orange and not as many speckles as before

BA-006.jpg

Thanks! tank is doing good so i want to try out some new corals soon, any suggestions on what to add? Haven't bought anything in 2 months, I've been good.

Here are some pics on how i set everything up..

ps. sorry for the low-res pics, i have a new camera coming in the mail  :laugh:

Under the cabinet:

setup-001.jpg

Auto top off:

setup-002.jpg

Dual AQUALIFTERS!!! they lift over 4 feet no problem.. slow and steady but not dripping.. this is a lifesaver if you have an AIO system

setup-003.jpg

ATO return tube.. i just used parts from an acclamation kit.. very stealth! this was another issue i was battling with trying to ATO an AIO, then it hit me.  

setup-004.jpg

For some reason i can only skim tea color, i have never been able to get that sludge but i think it works fine

setup-005.jpg

I drilled some holes through aluminum bars to hook the two lights together, then used a hanging kit.. theres a little flex on the bars but its ok as long as you don't touch it.. 

setup-006.jpg

The corals are really up to you. You have the lights that would work for SPS, but you may have to start dosing Alk & Cal.

by the way I never get the really dark skimmate either with my IM skimmer, but my Nitrates are 0.

Do you ever have a problem with your skimmer overflowing?

I did... I drilled a hole in the side of the collection cup and put in a fitting that has a barbed end so I could attach a hose. The hose used to drain below the tank to a container, now it drains down the tube to the basement to a larger container. No more worries about floods.

(edited)

Yeah the skimmer overflowed a lot but i kept messing with the air intake valve and kept playing with it until i get 2-3mm of water in the cup everyday.. the first 2 months it was hard to get it to be consistent but then i got it down to where i made an adjustment and waited 3-4 days then made another really tiny adjustment. my collection cup is extra large so can hold a lot of water. i clean the cup out at least once a week and clean the neck too. Just run water and use a brush to clean away everything

i might look around for an easy to care for sps. some branching coral would look nice around the high areas of the rockwork

Edited by quang

The corals are really up to you. You have the lights that would work for SPS, but you may have to start dosing Alk & Cal.

by the way I never get the really dark skimmate either with my IM skimmer, but my Nitrates are 0.

Do you ever have a problem with your skimmer overflowing?

I did... I drilled a hole in the side of the collection cup and put in a fitting that has a barbed end so I could attach a hose. The hose used to drain below the tank to a container, now it drains down the tube to the basement to a larger container. No more worries about floods.

+1 on dosing, you already run a ATO so why not try dosing kalk?

• 1 month later...

Just picked up 2 polyps of Sunny D zoa's from Quantum Reefs today and mounted a few corals onto the rock... 

tankshot-001.jpg

tankshot-002.jpg

tankshot-003.jpg

tankshot-004.jpg

tankshot-005.jpg

tankshot-006.jpg

Great pics! I love your rock layout.

You may want to look into the IM Spin Streams. They have more flow and it is random. I have a Vortech on the end of my tank and it mixes it up more then the flared nozzle that comes with the IM Nano tanks.IMO

Really pretty!  I love the dimensions of the 24.  đẹp lắm!

There you go Ed, throwing out the Vietnamese!!!! You could of at least said:  Rất đẹp hồ, bạn đã làm một công việc tuyệt vời!

LOL thanks and awesome Vietnamese guys!  I think I packed as much live rock as i could into this tank... you should see me try to clean algae off the glass with a Mr Clean Eraser...