Automated magnesium dosing?

Paul'sReef

I use brs and dose daily as my tank is like epleeds it consumes alot.

BRS instructions state you can toss the entire dosage of mag in at once, when your calc and alk are gone. that's all i ever did. if this works, why would you want/need to dose it daily?

BRS instructions state you can toss the entire dosage of mag in at once, when your calc and alk are gone. that's all i ever did. if this works, why would you want/need to dose it daily?

Magnesium instability can cause alk instability. For tanks with high consumption, topping off a jug every few months is much easier than measuring and dosing every week.

+1

It's safe to change +100ppm  that's 20oz of BRS solution. If you're seeing that high of a mag consumption you're probably already using a calcium reactor. If you're dosing two part, it's basically when you refill your jugs.... FWIW, this is the method I use. 

Just make sure your tanks consumption needs it. I dose cal and alk but water changes is enough to replenish Mg. I test for it once ammonth and can make an adjustment if it actually needs it.