60g reef savvy build

turbo2oh

So after a very slow start the stand is built, plumbing is done, etc. and I'm finally getting the tank up and running! Yesterday I finished filling the tank with RODI, and mixed salt in the tank. Also got the heaters and return pump setup with the Apex. This morning SG was 1.025, temp was 79 and looking good. I added the sand, about 55lbs. of arag-alive. Unfortunately while trying to keep the bags low in the tank, and not being able to see in the sandstorm, I knocked into my rock and broke loose a piece of the aquascape that wasn't epoxied very well apparently. Hopefully that was the only one, I really can't see anything. I guess I'll be buying some more waterweld and trying to fix it underwater...ugh. Has anyone tried the superglue and waterweld combo? I was reading about someone doing that on RC. Using the superglue to hold it in place until the epoxy has had time to harden.

I added the bio-magnet clarifier that came with the sand but I'm guessing it will still be cloudy for a day or 2? I'm leaving the return pump off a day to hopefully let it settle. Is that best?

I'm also have the Dr. Tim nitrifying bacteria once the sandstorm is over and plan to kick it off with some ammonia chloride I got as well. Would anyone be able to donate a cup or two of live sand thats in/near the Odenton area? When is the best time to add that?

Any feedback/tips would be appreciated!

Here's a few pics of the stand/aquascape throughout the process before I dumped in the sand:

15048701500_972083325c_z_d.jpg

15089727416_e438cff941_z_d.jpg

15113440858_000f9f553c_z_d.jpg15113260429_35fdd56535_z_d.jpg

Edited by turbo2oh

I live in Odenton and could give you some sand.

Thanks! I'll PM you. It started to clear up a little after 5/6 hours. Enough that I could see that I had knocked over a lot of the aquascape :(. The issu now is I took one rock out that had fallen and the sand was stirred up again. How can I ever re-aquascape if its a sandstorm anytime I move anything? Would the live sand or adding the ammonia/nitrifying bacteria help? I was reading that some bacteria can bind to the sand and help avoid the massive sandstorms.

Looks good! My one piece of advice is to not be in a rush!

It regards to the sand, you can run filter floss, but honestly, it will settle very quickly. I've never used the bio magnet stuff with the fiji pink sand that I usually use, and I've run all my pumps. Just give it time to settle, you'll probably see it cleared up within 24 hours, but hey, if it's 48, so what?!

If you're not happy with your scape, take your rock out and redo it until you are, this is the time when you're just getting started. Some sand will help you kick off your cycle for sure, so take wildcrazyjoker up on that. Take the time to be patient and do it right the first time now, and you will be glad you did!

And welcome!

Thanks guys, yeah I should just be patient. I bought this tank from a fellow WAMAS member back when it was still snowing so its been a long time coming, it'd be nice to have something alive in there sometime soon haha.

I'll assess it tomorrow after work. My plan it to either add the ammonia/nitrifying bacteria tomorrow and play with the aquascape as it cycles or to drain a lot of the water into a rubbermaid and reaquascape with only a few inches, then kick off the cycle after the scape is repaired.

Can't wait to see it filled. The stand looks really nice. I see two handles - magnetic closure?

Edit - forgot a word

Edited by lutz123

Ok, so the sand is settled, the aquascape is repaired and I kicked off the cycle. While I wait I need to make a decision on lighting. I have a AI Sol blues fixture that came with the tank but I think its a little blue for my taste. I prefer something with a little more white. On my old 29g I had years ago I had a 14k phoenix MH bulb I really liked.

Here are the options I'm considering, let me know what you think or if I should be considering anything else. I already bought the hanging kit for the Sol but its unopened. I could just run it for awhile and see if it grows on me.

Upgrading AI Sol to either Hydra or Hydra52 - this should provide more flexibility, but I really don't want to play around with a million variables to get it looking good

Selling the AI Sol and getting a MH fixture - easy, but really don't want to be fighting the heat with fans or a chiller

Selling the AI Sol and getting a Kessil light - these look good on cubes I think, also seems a little more straightforward to configure vs the Hydra

Here's a few pics of the revised aquascape:

15313541036_7ffa88f6a4_z_d.jpg

15333399721_6681238d5f_z_d.jpg

• 2 months later...
(edited)

So here's an updated FTS I took the other day. I'm looking for advice on what fish to get next. Everything has done well with the exception of the first royal gramma who seemed ok for a day or 2 then disappeared never to be seen again. His replacement has faired much better.

Currently I have:

2 ocellaris clowns

1 royal gramma

Fish I'm considering:

Midas blenny (really want this one)

goby/shrimp pair

green chromis

firefish

wrasse (suggestions?)

FTS.jpg

Edited by turbo2oh

Nice!

Here is a great tank you could use for inspiration. He went through many lighting combos

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1908402

Yep love that tank! It was part of what made me want a cube. I don't think I'll be investing quite as much into lighting as he did though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
(edited)

So here I am a little over a year later and the tanks doing well!

Originally I didn't really organize my electronics, everything was just shoved behind the stand. I kept putting it off thinking I'd do it soon. Well, soon turned into a year later it. I finally got it all organized and installed in a cabinet!

Next step is to upgrade the ATO storage to something fancier than a home depot bucket since its sitting next to my tank and pretty visible.

8ad1f623-cf9d-48cf-8bf3-39e2626b5918.jpg

Edited by turbo2oh