A Baby Boy's First Reef Tank - 29g Biocube

Ryan S

Hi all.

After 18 months away from the hobby, I am returning.  Since I left, I got married, bought a house, paid down some debt, and had a baby boy. 

Our baby Boy is Carter. Here he is on Tuesday, September 2, 2014, before his first day at daycare:

sml_gallery_2631706_9_7073.jpg

Here he is on September 3, 2014, on his second day of daycare. It looks like he finally came around:

sml_gallery_2631706_9_40032.jpg

I also saved up some money, which allowed me to purchase the following 29g Biocube package off of craigslist last weekend:

00Z0Z_lg8iASxtNim_600x450.jpg

I have also purchased 15 pounds of BRS Dry Pukani Rock. I'm not sure if it will be enough, so we'll see. I also purchased a BRS 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI 75gpd System, a 20 pound bag of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand (not as small as my old Fiji Pink, but not as big as Crushed Coral either. My hope is that it won't blow around in the tank), and a 160g Bucket of Instant Ocean Sea Salt.

I'd like to upgrade a few things on the tank, to help automate it. First, I'd like to swap out the Oceanic return pump with a MJ1200, which should increase the turnover rate. I'd also like to add a Y loc-line piece, and 2 loc-line flare nozzles. It would look like this:

locliney.jpg

I'm not sure if I should order 2 flare nozzles that are 1.25" or 2.5". Anyone have advice on this choice?

I would also like to add to the system: A Tunze Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001, a Biocube 29 Fish Saver Guard, a Biocube 29 Media Basket (with filter floss, Purigen, and Chemi-Pure Elite).

I'd also like to add a Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off (with a 5.5g reservoir in the stand), and a Vortech MP10 ES Pump

I'd like to swap out the 2 36w PC lights for some LEDs, not so much for the ability to grow SPS, but for the reduction in heat, electricity costs, and bulb replacement savings. I've started a WTB thread here in case anyone has any of these items for sale cheaper than new.

Lastly, I've also started a thread here to start putting together a fun coral list that my son will enjoy watching. I will need to do the same for fish and inverts too I suppose!

Anyway, this tank is dedicated to all of the children of WAMAS. I hope it is a success and Carter falls in love with the hobby, the same way his Daddy did.

-Ryan

Question of the day:

Tunze ATO. I've never used one before, but hear nothing but good things about them, so I plan on buying one for this tank so I don't have to worry about adding water to the tank everyday.

There is the Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152 ($105), and the Tunze Osmolator 3155 ($205) that I'm considering.  My original thought was to just get the nano, and save $100.  All this biocube would ever need is the nano.  Then I got to thinking, if I can pay a little more now, and reuse certain items on my future 300g DD, whenever that might be, then maybe it would be worth paying extra for the 3155.  (Plus I can find a used 3155 easier than a used 3152 I bet).  For those of you with experience with either unit, would the 3155 work as easily on the 29g biocube as the 3152 would?  It's not super big and would be an eye sore or anything on the biocube, right?

Next Question of the day:

I am going to swap out the oceanic return pump with a maxi jet 1200.

I plan on buying buying from the BRS group buy:

The problem is, I don't know if I should get 2 1.25" Flare Nozzles, or 2 2.5" Flare Nozzles.

Does anyone have advice on which to choose?

The problem is, I don't know if I should get 2 1.25" Flare Nozzles, or 2 2.5" Flare Nozzles.

Does anyone have advice on which to choose?

I would go with 1.25"

That is JMO. 2.5 just seems to large for a BC29. What are you going to use for water movement besides the return? I like the MP-10's, but there are a lot of nice nano pumps on the market these days giving ecotech a run for their money. 

I would go with 1.25"

That is JMO. 2.5 just seems to large for a BC29. What are you going to use for water movement besides the return? I like the MP-10's, but there are a lot of nice nano pumps on the market these days giving ecotech a run for their money. 

I picked up a MP10W ES yesterday.  So I have plenty of flow in the tank itself.  It was my understanding that the return pump upgrade was less for overflow improvement in the display, and more for greater turnover in the back area of the biocube, so the various medias could perform optimally (purigen, chemi pure elite, poly fiber, skimmer).  I'm also wondering if the 2 loc-line segments Yed in the tank would be too big and take up too much space.  I love loc-line, but if the tank is small, you don't want it standing out when people view the display either, you know?  I guess I can see how much flow the MJ1200 is putting out of the standard tank nozzle, if it's too powerful, then I'll just have to split it, and I'll go with 1.25" flares to keep the size down on the loc-line piece at least some.

One guy said to get a MJ900, instead of a MJ1200 because the MJ1200 would produce much more heat.

MJ900 230gph 8.5 watts

MJ1200 295gph 20 watts

Would 20 watts v 8.5 watts make a noticeable difference in the heat in a 29g tank?  Or in someone's electric bill?

Edited by Ryan S

Maybe I'm just sensitive to noise, because I found my mp10es too loud, but the mj1200 surprised me by the noise it makes. It's fine in the tank but the rear chambers of my solana make a sort of echo and amplify the noise level. Hopefully won't be an issue in your biocube

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

gallery_2631706_9_94928.jpg

Thanks Ken!

AWWWW!!!! I just showed this to my wife I I think she teared up! ....OK so did I... could not be happier!!! :clap:

• 2 months later...

I've decided to take down this tank.  Haven't been able to conquer a cyano outbreak that's been going on for several months now.  Tried the chemical method, which has worked for me before, tried less food, tried lights out, tried more flow and less flow, tested my water, no clue the cause.  I'm also not as into the tank with just PC lighting and zoanthids more of less, and a couple of tiny fish.  Coming from the 150g, this tank has never felt that fulfilling for me, and my son really isn't in to it like I had imagined.  Maybe if it was a SPS tank, I would have more interest, or if it was bigger.  My son does love Ken's aquarium still though!  I'll just take the proceeds from the tank sell-off and put it into my 300g DD savings fund.  I'll have a tank for sale thread in the WTS forum sometime in the next few days.  I'll start with livestock, then equipment, then the tank/hood/stand last.