cleaner shrimp has eggs

Fritz0id3937

I've had my cleaner shrimp for about 4 months now and it def has eggs. Its the only cleaner shrimp I have, I also have a fire shrimp. So now what? Free fish food? Are they asexual or do they just regularly lay unfertilized eggs? I'll try to get a better pic, but looks just like the ones in google image search.

Edited by Fritz0id3937

very interesting.  these shrimp are hermaphrodites, so they change sex.  usually right after they molt they are immediately fertilized by another shrimp that is not carrying eggs.  but the fact that you only have one shrimp makes for an interesting predicament.  

My guess is that the eggs are unfertilized, I've never heard of crosses between fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp.  Are the eggs green?  Fertilized ones usually are, and with the naked eye you can still see egg development if you look closely.  To look closely put a piece of food in your hand and bring the shrimp right over to the front glass to eat off your fingers so you can get a good view of the eggs.  

If I remember correctly the brand new eggs are yellow, then turn green within a short time, but I'm not sure about that.  Give the eggs some time and see if they develop, I think there's a 99% chance that they are unfertilized, in which the shrimp will probably cast them off soon and get rid of them.

Edited by dave w

It may have been holding them from before you got it. I have a pom pom crab that was suddenly pregnant three months after buying her. Guess what? Two weeks ago she was carrying eggs again, and I have had her a year! No other crabs in the tank.

Had it for 4 months. Maybe it was just storing them. The eggs look yellow. They are not going to last long with the fish in my tank. Any hope of moving them to my sump once they are laid? Anyone successfully raise baby cleaners? Either way, pretty cool since its my first saltwater tank.

I think raising shrimp is generally very hard, nearly impossible for most people. You'd need a separate tank and live cultures to feed them. Just think of the shrimp eggs as caviar for your corals?

The End  :dry:

I think raising shrimp is generally very hard, nearly impossible for most people. You'd need a separate tank and live cultures to feed them. Just think of the shrimp eggs as caviar for your corals?

+1 I have not hear about raising cleaner shrimp much.

I read the eggs stay with the shrimp until they hatch. Anyone know if that's true? Would be cool to see some baby shrimp. Either way, I guess they are still fish food haha.

True...I have a pair of skunk cleaners and they are constantly filling the tank with tiny shrimp. 

20140524_005649_zpsy8zsz6et.jpg

20140524_005704_zps4ggsii3x.jpg

20140524_005255_zpsntwgvamg.jpg
Edited by kkozak81

Wow cool baby shrimp. So my shrimp only has half as many eggs today. I don't think any hatched. I have a feeling she ate them herself. She was poking at them last night and now they are half gone.