Anemone Troubles - Need Help

Newms118

So I have 2 green bubble tip anemones that have been refusing to open up the majority of the time lately.  The first indication something was up was the larger anemone starting roaming around.  I thought it was just not getting enough light since it got on the glass and crawled all the way to the top, where it sits now.  In this spot, he does receive lots of flow, so I attributed his closure to that.  However when I keep the flow down considerable all day, the anemone still stays closed. The smaller anemone appears to be doing the same thing.  It didn't roam around but I rarely see it open up to stretch out its tentacles. The tank is a 65 gallon with a 30 gallon sump.  So far it has corals and cleanup crew since I've been fighting some ich/flukes with my fish (their in QT).  My lights are 2 units from Build My LED (14000K and 20000K) running at 56% of max. All my corals (2 torch, some birds nest, some leathers, 2 favias, 1 hammer, 1 frogspawn, 1 red planet, 1 GSP) seem fine and have good polyp extension, which makes me confused bc I figured these guys would also being showing signs if something was off with the water.

Here are my parameters:

Ammonia = 0 ppm

Nitrate = 2.5 ppm

Calcium 500 ppm

Magnesium = 1140 ppm

Alkalinity = 7.8 dKH

Temp = 79 degrees C

pH = fluctuates between 8.2 and 8.1

Salinity = 1.026

I'm afraid these guys are on their way out since its been at least a week in this state.  I don't want to have them nuke the tank, so any suggestions would be much appreciative.

Larger anemone

larger anemone

Smaller anemone

smaller anemone

How old is the tank? Your mag is a little low, but I don't see how that would contribute to your nems unhappiness. Have you tried turning your lights up? Maybe they are looking for higher flow? My old LTA hung out in front of the powerhead.

How old is the tank? Your mag is a little low, but I don't see how that would contribute to your nems unhappiness. Have you tried turning your lights up? Maybe they are looking for higher flow? My old LTA hung out in front of the powerhead.

I started the tank up in February so I think it should be old enough to support the anemones.  The larger one has been shrinking so I've been trying to feed it mysis once a week.  Ive tried turning the lights up but started bleaching the corals, so couldn't go much higher than what Im using today.  

Right now the anemone has some stringy substance coming from it.  I can't tell if its from the mouth since its still closed up.  I also did feed it yesterday.

What color is the stringy stuff? Brown, black, purple? Do you have clownfish, if so, are they trying to use the 'nems as hosts?

It seems clear, like mucus.  So it seems to have opened up a bit now which just doesn't make sense to me.  Its as if its getting to much light and opens at night bc only my actinics are one and at a low intensity.  If it didn't like the light, why won't it more down?  Its like its intentionally starving since its been shrinking. And no clownfish yet.

It seems clear, like mucus.  So it seems to have opened up a bit now which just doesn't make sense to me.  Its as if its getting to much light and opens at night bc only my actinics are one and at a low intensity.  If it didn't like the light, why won't it more down?  Its like its intentionally starving since its been shrinking. And no clownfish yet.

Sometimes anemones are idiots. Mine would not move despite my clownfish loving it to death. Not sure what to do, sorry =( I wish you the best and I hope they make it.

I have a GBTA that was bright and bubbled when I got him and he slowly moved to under hangs to get out of the light. Then eventually moved out of sight in between rocks. I thought it had died. I moved the rock work around in that area 4 months later and it is still alive. Didn't have much extension, but alive. I then moved it into my mantis tank with a cheap T8 50/50 bulb and it is starting to get better. Put a small clown in as well and it is slowly showing more extension each day. I don't know, but it definitely does not like high light of any sorts.

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

They do seem to take a while to get used to the LEDs. If they are moving around a lot they are unhappy for whatever the reason usually flow or lighting. I noticed mine staying away from strong lighting until they get acclimated to it months from introducing.then they start to love the strong light. Have you fed them at all when they are open?

If it is taking food, that is a good sign. I would be wary of overfeeding, as it might not be the solution. Ultimately, it will decide where it wants to be, I would personally just keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

IMO,

don't feed them anymore. they balled up for a reason. When you feed them while they are weak, they will required more energy to process the food and mostly will spit out even if they initially eat it. I have had nems that shrink and disappeared while others shrink but recovered after a few weeks/month. Just keep water clean and they should recover. Good luck

What is your phosphate level? 

If the nem climbed up into the high flow, it probably wants high flow. They can and will move to try and find the conditions they want, so it they find a place they like, don't change the conditions. Also, +1 on the stop feeding. I haven't purposely fed my nem in months. They catch what they can out of the water and are doing great. 

Unless it is dead or dying, leave it alone. 

Bump

I use the salifert phosphate test and I get 0 phosphate. I run chemi pure elite so that should help pull the phosphate out.

Came in after work and both are balled up again, I just think it's too much light, which is strange bc when I first put them in I had the leds at a higher percent. I only had to turn them down when I put more corals in that we're bleaching out. It's like they lost their tolerance to the light.

As for the feeding, I feel if I don't feed them they'll die since they have been shrinking. One thing I should mention is that I've been using zeovit sponge power, lps amino acid, pohls xtra, coral booster and coral vitalizer. Think any of those guys can cause issues?

Hmm, I have about same set up, 65 with 20 gal sump. I got a rbta when my tank was 3 months old. He moved around like crazy for a few weeks. Then I got a porcelain crab and he has stayed put ever since. I've seen the crab feed him with his little hind legs and clean him with his claws. I only feed him half a silver side a month or longer. He will spit out a whole one. I have evergrow leds I run at 60ish blue, 48 white, but I'm slowly increasing them.

Mine didn't settle down until he found a nice cave, he comes all the way out most of the time, looks like a dinner plate (stretches like 6+ in from the base), then retracts later in the day, I guess after getting enough light.