proven ways to rid aiptasia

scott3569

Hey All,

So I have a frogspawn coral that I got from the fragswap. Well it has Aiptasia  on the base of it's skelleton..So I am needing some proven ways to get rid of it..I know that now that I have the one I probably have more, But at this time I just see the one..

I did get a pepperement shrimp, however my CBS mudered him the very next day..I was thinking about maybe getting a nutibranch..But, one I don't want to kill him off either by the CBS or not enough food..the CBS may very well be under fed as I have been cutting down on my feeding due to algae growth, and some cyno..that certainly is not out of control at this time but I am trying to get ahead of it..

MY main concern is the Aiptasia at this point because its actually on the frogspawn..And information would be great..

thnaks

And oh by the way, I would rather not use chemicals, Now lemon jucie or something like that would be fine, but becasue its right at the base of the Frogspawn I would rather use a natural way to get rid of it..

I tried peppermints and nudibranches, both of which I didn't see doing anything about aiptasia.  Supposedly filefish work, and I think they're cool looking.  Isaac and Dmitri both have CBBs that are apparently doing a good job on aiptasia.  I now use Aiptasia-X with the pumps off and do it right in the middle of zoa colonies and if you aren't a doofus and just use a little bit of it out the needle it seems to work fine.  I will never eliminate them with Aiptasia-X, but it is a good way to keep them from irritating anything I care about, which is what I really want.

I would cut off the base of the skeleton where the aiptasia is, and throw that part away.

Don't try to just scrape the aiptasia off.  It won't work.

I would cut off the base of the skeleton where the aiptasia is, and throw that part away.

Don't try to just scrape the aiptasia off.  It won't work.

What he said. Do it quick before you see any more. You could make up a vinegar bath and scrape the base with a brush while submerged. That should kill it before it spreads.

What he said. Do it quick before you see any more. You could make up a vinegar bath and scrape the base with a brush while submerged. That should kill it before it spreads.

What he said x2

Just take the coral out, cut it off, and hope there are not more.

Yup. Chip off the rock that the aphasia is on and do it yesterday because if you wait any longer it will  spread.  Probably already has.... sorry. 

I had actually thought about cutting it off..problem is I don't have anything to cut it with unless I can use like a hand saw or something like that. I don't have a big bone cutters..Maybe I better go grab some.

I am sure it has already spread also, that is just an educated guess of course, however I am more worried about where it is on the base of the frogspawn, cause it's not on the rock..

So what exactly is the proceedure I should do for cutting it??

Do I need to dip it in anything after doing so?? or what..

It will be my first time doing it soo.. I need to detailed info guys..

I supose maybe I could, I don't know, as I said this will be my first time..I have a scroll saw can I use that? I also have a couple hand saw, 

I need more detail information, I am sure a pic would be nice, but if I need to it yesterday, than I kinda need to know what i need to do post cut, a pic really isn't going do anything as far as that goes.

I have heard fire works.  If you can take the piece out and burn the aptasia off it will die. 

Frogspawn skeleton is pretty thin and brittle, compared to other corals' skeletons.

A hacksaw blade will cut through it quickly and leave a nice straight cut.  Kitchen shears also work well.  You could also use regular scissors.

In a pinch, you can snap it with your fingers.

Start by gently shaking the whole coral underwater to get it to retract it's polyps most of the way.

Take the coral out of the tank and put it on a paper plate to catch all the slimy goo that the frogspawn makes.  I wear gloves when fragging messy corals, but it's not required.

Cut the skeleton where needed to isolate the aiptasia.

Stick the coral back in the tank.

All done!

Well ok I guess i am just going to have to use something. I have a pair of utility scissors..abvisously with all the joking I am not going to get my questions answered..Thanks for those who gave at least some decent info..for those that are cracking jokes..well, that will come around on ya!!

Well ok I guess i am just going to have to use something. I have a pair of utility scissors..abvisously with all the joking I am not going to get my questions answered..Thanks for those who gave at least some decent info..for those that are cracking jokes..well, that will come around on ya!!

Nobody is joking on this thread. They are all serious answers, and you asked...

Do you have a utility razor? Scrape it off. You can use tweezers as well. Don't think too much about it, it's super easy.

Take the frogspawn out, scrape aptasia off with a razor or tweezers, get it clean, don't leave the base of the aiptasia there, it will just grow back. If you have revive dip, use that. I prefer revive over Bayer for Lps, as I think it's less stressful. If you don't have any of the above, rinse it in saltwater and put it back in the tank. Hope that is detailed enough!

I havnt read a joke yet.  These are all things to kill aptasia.  I put my piece of rock with it on my deck for a day to kill it but my tank was cycling.  I also have burned them off.  There is a wand that uses electricity to seperate hydrogen from the water and kill it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MosBU6kuaHI

If you are sure that this is the only Aiptasia you have in your tank, I would just remove it, period. 

When you have an Aiptasia free tank, I wouldn't take any chances.  I have 3 tanks and only 1 is Aiptasia free, I don't even put hermits from the other tanks in it ! Call it being paranoid but 6 years and that's the only tank without a single Aiptasia.  The Aiptasia in my 156G is kept in check by a Klien butterfly.  The other tank is infested only manual control with hydrogen peroxide.

Well, I didn't realize there was and aiptasia wand, and seeing as though that was the only thing that was said, if you don't know about it, then I am sure you can see where it looks as tohugh someone was cracking a joke..

anyway no matter, I tried my scroll saw that didn't work, the only other thing I could get right off after I have it out of the tank was HAMMER and Chissel..THAT didn't go to well broke a head off split it right down the whole stem...so never use a hammer and chissle!!!!

I glued the pieces back together the best I could and got it back in the tank as soon as possible..

I would like to make a suggestion..When you answer threads try giving more than two word answers(to the ones that did give just a real short answer) I try to give as much detail of what I am taking about, You can't assume that the person knows what you are talking about...

Anyway, Hope I didn't just kill the frogspawn..

Thank you agian.

I havnt read a joke yet.  These are all things to kill aptasia.  I put my piece of rock with it on my deck for a day to kill it but my tank was cycling.  I also have burned them off.  There is a wand that uses electricity to seperate hydrogen from the water and kill it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MosBU6kuaHI

All that maybe true, but what you had fail to read is that it is not on the ROCK, it was on the skelleton of thr frog spawn.

The frogspawn should be fine, so long as you didn't break a head into two pieces.  It's a tough coral and is up to being out of the water for several minutes at least.  Especially if you got it to retract it's polyps first.

The branch/skeleton part is not live.  There's often a white or tan layer of tissue at the base of eat head, and sometimes the tissue connects multiple heads. 

Good luck, and hope you remain aiptasia free! 

take a butter knife from the drawer or a screwdriver from the tool bin and scrape it off. its not rocket science. buy a filefish- cheap, plentiful, long lived, always eat aiptasia. I have 14 tanks to prove it.