sand sifting crab(sand flea)

morgan175

Has anyone put one of these in their tank?  Going to ocean city this year and I could pick up a few and put them into my tank.  I really never even thought of these for the tank and was shocked when I saw 5 for 20$ on a site.  

Could they disturb or destroy anything they have them listed as being reef safe?

I've wondered this too. The main issue that I've seen (according to people on other bulletin boards) is temperature. Supposedly you need warm water mole crabs and not the ones we might find on the north east coast where the ocean temps might just barely reach 70.

A. Ew, why?

B. I have dug these up for a while, but am not clear they can "breathe" under water as I've only seen them in the sand.

C. Ew, why?!

From what I have seen, they require a great deal of oxygen (possibly including high water energy).  Generally, temperate critters don't live long.

Once, long long ago (somewhere around 1997-98), I tried cochina clams collected from SC beach... they died within a day or two.  It caused major issues as I didn't realize how much badness they would release.

I have had them multiple times and they never lived more than a couple of weeks.  That is if you are talking about the ones you find at the surf line.  The ones you collect in bays underwater live forever and you have to step on them to kill them