looking for a decent priced macro lens for a nikon D5100

epleeds

Depends what kind of lens you're going for? Are you looking to do macro?

Can't speak for the Nikon portion being a Canon guy, but I use Tamron's 90mm f2.8 lens for macro shots and it hasn't done me wrong yet.  

Can't speak for the Nikon portion being a Canon guy, but I use Tamron's 90mm f2.8 lens for macro shots and it hasn't done me wrong yet.  

Tamron's have a good name, it's what I've been sold on (also with Nikons)

Talk to Kallor, he's got some really good experience under his belt, and knows a thing or two when it comes to photography!

I've got a Tamron 100mm for my D5000, only problem is it's not auto capable, so manual focus only.  Oh, and I need someone to show me how to use it  :(

• 2 months later...

Some things that you may want to explore are low-cost close-up lens adapters or an extension tube set

Here's a little discussion about some of the tradeoffs. Keep in mind that a macro lens will give you the best focusing range of these options (near-field to infinity), while the other options work well in a limited, close up range. Still, for the significant savings, the options may be worth it to you to explore. I have used all three over the years. 

A few years back, I used close up lenses to take this picture using my Canon EOS Rebel:

gallery_2631296_588_67340.jpg

Nice shot, Tom, and even nicer coral! I would recomend playing around with different lenses, if you can borrow from friends to try them out first. I thought I wanted something until I tried using it, and changed my mind without being out $500.

^^ I got that coral from Sean at Fins and Feathers. It was the best it ever looked because a few months later, we moved and it was subsequently lost in the great crash of '11.