Install 120g tank with additional support needed?

micfyiu

Hey guys ! I am putting a 120 gallon fish tank about 48x24x24. I am having more concern about the weight..Distribution. It's at the 1fl and thinking adding extra support for the beams. Any input would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like you have engineered I beams ...and if they are 26 inches apart you should be fine...

How wide is the tank and how many beams will it cross? As long as its not running perpendicular to them, I think you will be fine...

It looks like you are putting it next to an exterior wall? Much less concern there than if you put it on an interior one because the moment is lower closer to the load bearing foundation.

If you set it up and have too much bounce when walking in front of it you can tie the stand to the wall and it wont bounce much, if at all.

It appears that you should be fine. Try to set it up evenly between 2 beams. IMHO

Are you planning on putting it up against the window shown in the first picture? Solar loading on the tank could cause temperature control problems. It looks like you would also block a floor vent which may make temperature control in the room less stable. If the tank is to be against the wall on the right of the first picture, then it looks like you'll be crossing over several joists and should be fine. If parallel to the concrete basement wall, you'll be fine, too.

I assume that the hot water heater is directly below the place shown in your picture?

Thank guys for the fast input ! I am new here I feel loved.

That's correct ! the top picture is where I am going to put my 120 gallon tank and thinking take out the vent and run pipe thought the vent hole to the basement and place the sump..at the basement.

origami, your correct The new tank will be above the water heater.

Sure, jack posts would help with springiness for sure, but you probably dont really need them. If it gives you peace of mind and isnt too in the way, go for it.

Welcome Mcfyiu! Always nice to have new members! Take some time to introduce yourself in our welcome to WAMAS forum when you get a chance!

How much sun would the tank get? What time does sun come through the window? My tank gets some and the fish and corals love it. I would think during the summer you could just pull a blind down if it's too intense or you are away. It's no fun being nervous so if you have kids running and jumping next to the tank just go buy a couple twist jacks on posts at Home Depot. Support the two beams on the ends of the tank or consider buying small pre fabricated I beam. Just to take a little weight off. I don't think it will crash downt but you want to make sure there are no long term sagging and no worries.

Gmerek2

Not much light because it's my neighbor house windows once I open the blind. Just move the tank inside .. Boy it was heavy !! I will go get the post today !

Update here is what I did ! Just incase ! I don't know if I need to install another or not ! I have two the ran out of space to put the second one .. Thinking install it behind the water heater. Might help or not at all. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Looks great! Don't raise the house with them lol (Looks like you know that) just take a tad weight off. I'm sure most people are right and it's over kill but when the next small earth quake happens you will be glad you have them. Also if people say it's unnecessary, you can come over and I can show you a couple scary tricks my 125 does lol

The foundation on the right side has you covered over there. So I would think the left side of the tank is where you want both of the supports. Looks like that's how you have it planned. I would also check the tank in stand, in its spot before you fill with water to make sure it's level in all directions. Some people have needed to shim their tanks. Probably not necessary but it's nice to know which overflow gets more water.

gmerek2! I basically hand tight to post till I hear the beam little crack sound. Lol I forgot about the weight of the tank will hold the post even tighter.

Alright guys ! After long day of work and spend some time to finish installing the post

Here is another view after 2 post install then I realize the waters in feed right behind the water heater. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image