29 Biocube HQi Setup

RTElite12

I am setting up a 29 gallon biocube HQi. I built a custom  ten gallon sump refugium, using a HOB overflow, return pump, and flexible tubing for the plumbing and return. For circulation, I believe I have a Koralia 420 plus the return pump that comes with the tank. I am going to use live rock and live sand. For salt, I am using Instant Ocean Reef Salt. I am still debating what the stocking list is going to be and open to suggestions. For filtration I am still looking for a protein skimmer (also looking for suggestions) and have a BRS carbon reactor. The lighting is the regular 150 watt metal halide that comes with the tank. I also have a A.T.O. System I am planning to use.

Please share your thoughts or suggestions. Thank You.

Sounds like a good start!

Depending on what your keeping you may not need to use the carbon reactor...or you could use phosban or another similar product in it...

I like having protein skimmers, but to fit on that sized tank I'm not sure of a good one for you, there are other members with aio's that will be able to make good suggestions...

Its not necessarily the carbon itself...its the fines that has been linked to think like Hlle in tangs and such...

but I'm still not a proponent of tumbling for such a small tank...you could put carbon in a mesh bag in one of the chambers with some passive flow and still get the water cleaning results..I just thing running s phosphate remover would be more beneficial...

but as far as fish...depending on any corals you want you could try a dwarf angel...there are some thaaren't supposed to be as bad in a reef tank,lol

• 2 weeks later...

I had a BC29 with a 2.5G fuge and had zero trates. With a ten gallon sump refugium you will be able to stock it good. I suggest a Mandarin goby for that tank.

• 8 months later...

My 29 gallon biocube HQi has been running for a little while now. I bought a 4" Reef Octopus skimmer (having a little hard time tuning it even with constant water level. Might be depth of water though) which ended up taking the place of the refugium in the sump. I plan on starting the refugium in the middle compartment in the back (I just need to get some chaeto). I still have the carbon reactor up and running. I am running into some minor problems with hair algae but I plan on running GFO with the carbon when I get the GFO in a few days so that should clear up the phosphates. The refugium should clear up the about 10 ppm of nitrates I have. I believe all of the phosphates and nitrates are coming from a little to much food because I have pretty good flow in the display between two powerheads and two pumps and I use RODI (I am getting another powerhead in a few days also) so I don`t think detritus is settling. I am getting some two part from BRS in a few days so I can start dosing to try to keep the water parameters more stable.

Current stocking list:

2 clowns

1 Sally lightfoot crab (clowns and crab from friend taking down tank)

1 lawnmower blenny (not sure if I like him or not yet. Sure is doing a good job on the algae though)

13 astreas 

7 Cerith/ nassarius snails

7 Blue leg hermits

Coral:

Pulsing Xenia      (on own isolated rock)

GSP                     (on own isolated rock)

Red and Green Favia 

Trumpet               (don`t think this guy is going to make it)

Birdsnest             (good growth)

encrusting sps     (not sure what type) (got from a friend who said it was a slow grower but it has grown fairly fast for me.)

leather

If everything goes according to plan, I would like to add a few more sps in the future.

I am really open to suggestions especially on filtration and stocking