Chuck's 125G extension build (300+Gallons)

Recently ended my 30 years of freshwater keeping!

Now that the 150G is emptied. It's time to add it to my existing 125G.

I am planning to plumb my re-new 150G to my existing 125G. This will give me 345 Gallons (125G, 150G and 70G sump), but roughly 310-320 Gallons actual water volume. 

Since I never start a 125 build here, I am going to give it a quick flash-back.

I converted my 125G to saltwater back in 2011 after successfully kept a 10G halfmoon.

Here it is at the begining:

2011 12 125G01

Here is the 125G about 6 months later:

2012 04 125G02

Again in 2013:

2013 03 125G03

..and 2014:

2014 03 125G01

2014 03 125G02

2014 03 125G03

2014 03 125G04

Now, lets get to the build.

After emptied the tank and cleaned up, I noticed that this tank is aprox. 19 years young.

So I decided to give it a new seal and stripped out the silicone:

IMG 1864

IMG 1865

IMG 1862

Resealed everything and will let it cure for maybe a week or so before I do a leak test. 

IMG 1916

IMG 1917

IMG 1918

Wow Chuck! I love the way you covered the stand and hood area with the stained wood, very unique! Look forward to watching your full addiction take over!

Wow Chuck! I love the way you covered the stand and hood area with the stained wood, very unique! Look forward to watching your full addiction take over!

I built the stand 12 years ago. Nice height for viewing. Well for most people, but a bit too high for me ;)

So, to give me a better view, I am going to put the 150 underneath the 125 :)

(edited)

Leak test day! 

It's approx one week sine I resealed the tank. I am super nervous since I have never reseal a tank this size. Done many in the past, but mostly small tanks.

Also, I have to test it indoor since I have no means of moving this thing outside! 

My plan is to filled it half way and let it sit for a day. Then filled it all the way the next day.

here we go...finger crossed!

Edited by flooddc

Good luck! I have access to a 90g tank that needs to be resealed. Let me know if you want that one too!

Thanks,

-Filled up halfway. So far so good. Lets see if it holds water.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, I decided to get it wet!

150-1

My plan is to cycle it and then tied it into the existing 125G and sump.

I am starting the cycle using about 80lbs of LR from my sump and 80lbs of dried rocks.

Will be using skimmate and some old water from water change help speed up the cycling process (I hope!)

Here we go!!!

As for equipment:

I will be running (2) WP-60 and (3) LED fixtures, one of which will be DIY. 

I decided to do a simple DIY LED to accommodate the center brace.

DIY LED fixture will have 2 modules on each side.

Plan and actual fixture:

LED01

LED1

LED2

Led3

Led4

Led5

appears to be okay! will see how it turned out when I hook it up 

DIY LED light finally installed. phew!

Considering that I have not work with electronic in at least 15 years, I am pretty pleased with my DIY led light made from scratch (cost ~ $130).  

photo (2)

With the additional 2 "purchased" LED modules, lighting is completed! 

photo (1)

Now, I have to prepare and figure out how to plumb this thing to the existing tank, but will not connect until tank is cycled!

• 1 month later...

tank cycled and finally plumbed to the existing 125G and sump.

125&150

But, now I realized that I made huge miscalculation. I forgot about the microbubbles that created from the 1st overflow to second tank. Should have incorporate a bubble trap tower in the tank.

So, now I have to find away to make an in-tank bubble trap without the ugliness.  

Maybe a "U" pipe so they go down then back up.  Like all the way to tank bottom then a U back up to top?  Not sure that's the best idea.

No more FW?

Yeah! I have the flexible hose and tried the "U" configurations (similar to the sink drain), but no help. I am going to make mini acrylic bubble trapper and hope it will take care of the problem. If not, will throw some filter floss in there to break the microbubbles.

Yup! no more FW. except for the pond. 

Chuck, I'm just a phone call away. Let me know if you need help.

Maybe a mesh filter sock stuffed with the floss?

thanks guys

I use a sponge on the overflow in back of my 16g IM Nano, since the overflows go right down to the return pumps. Seems to help get rid of bubbles, and another layer of filtration. I have multiply sets so I just take one set out to clean it, and add another. I cut them form a big black block I think I got from DR. Foster's or BRS.

cool setup, I was planning on plumbing in some 40B's under my 125, let me know how you resolve the Micro bubbles, I havent put any thought into that myself

I use a sponge on the overflow in back of my 16g IM Nano, since the overflows go right down to the return pumps. Seems to help get rid of bubbles, and another layer of filtration. I have multiply sets so I just take one set out to clean it, and add another. I cut them form a big black block I think I got from DR. Foster's or BRS.

Thanks, but don't really want to use anything that will collects food or might clogged up and flooded. Microbubbles came from top tank to bottom tank.