47 year old tank

sen5241b

The only other thing that happened is that we went over a large log with the ATV and the log lifed the wheels off the very muddy ground so I had to get a large, 230' limb and pry the thing up so my Son N Law could put rocks under the wheels so we could get free.  No big deal though.  :cool:

2013-11-02%2000.08.50_zpsybg5cgen.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just finished my water change using fake water.  I can't wait until I move because I will be right near the sea and I can just back my car up to the water and pump it into containers.
This mixing and lugging around ASW water is getting old as I am.
I changed about a third of my tank water or a little more which is probably the largest water change I ever did.  Now when I test my nitrates it is still off the chart but it made me feel better anyway.  My fish don't seem to care one way or the other.

I am real happy now for a couple of reasons.  My wife seems to be getting slightly better as the days pass.  She is still in pain but not as severe so maybe she won't have to get Gamma Knife "surgery" again.  We are hoping so anyway because it's better to get better on your own than to have some guy who you hope at least went to high school send radiation into your brain.   What if he was out the day they showed him how not to fry the patients neural network.

The other reason I am happy is because in my new house with my new "huge" workshop I need a few more tools.  My router specifically.  My old one croaked.  (for you electronic Geeks this router is for wood working and not the thing with all the blinking LEDs on it that lets you contact your Geek friends through the cloud, the net or however you guys contact each other to talk about how much RAM and megabytes you have so you can stream Lady GaGa quotes at each other at the speed of light or watch TV in Blue Ray whatever that is)

Anyway I found an American made router.   I almost did a backflip in the store.  It seems that DeWalt has a line of American tools,  Who knew.  The only reason I never replaced any of my power tools is that I could never find an American one.  I looked at Porta Cable, Bosch, Craftsman, Milwaukee, Ryobi and some names I can't pronounce but they all come from places I can't pronounce and I won't buy them. 
I will also get a scroll saw but so far I can't find one made in the US so if I can, I will try to find a used American one.   I have a large band saw but for fine work, it is too big.

First of all my wife is a little better today and is eating, talking, exercizing and most of all telling me what I should do which is great.  Now I can go on with my selective hearing like all Men get.  But I love it when she gets even a little better.  :p

I came across my interview on a local radio station from 2 years ago.  Actually someone on another forum informed me he just heard it and I have been looking for it but thought it was lost or cancelled.
It is boreing so no need to listen to it.  The first half is about hobbies and the second half is about my time in Viet Nam.  A close friend of mine for most of my life was the host and I am still not sure why he wanted me on unless PeeWee Herman was busy and they needed to fill air time.

I also found out that my Steam Punk art work will be on display in two Mid Town Manhattan art galleries.  So I am all excited about my wife and this bit of news.

http://www.tonhprojectindependence.n...EGMENT%203.mp3

http://www.tonhprojectindependence.n...EGMENT%204.mp3

Very soon I have to start building rock for my tank move.* I want to build a large structure to keep my reef off the bottom.* There is just so much to do with the move.* I threw out and gave away so much stuff already including many tools, all my Scuba equipment, all my books, my snow blower is going to a friend as is the rest of my garden tools and many power tools.
There is a 55 gallon tank in a friends LFS to transfer the contents of my tank to in case the move doesn't coincide with selling my house.*

A lot of my rock won't fit in that 55 so I will have to let some of it just dry out.

I wrote this a few months ago, but I just found it again and I have nothing to say about my fish because they are doing what fish normally do such as eating and pooping. 

Be a Man

Last week I took my wife to California for a medical procedure and on the plane on the way home a young man sat next to me.  I knew right away he was in the service because Veterans, like myself can almost always tell who served.  I can pick out a combat Veteran every time which amazes my wife as many times I will approach a stranger and welcome him home.

Anyway, this young man was in the Navy.  He had short hair, an American Flag on his hat and backpack, and he called me "Sir".  When I come upon an older man than myself (there aren't many left) and I know he is a Vet, I also address him as Sir because that shows respect.  Something lost on almost everybody today.

We started talking about his service and he told me about his basic training and was actually embarrassed that it was so easy.  He told me that the drill instructors were not allowed to curse at them.  They couldn't hit them, They couldn't train outside if the weather was not perfect, they could only give him 20 minutes of exercise, then had to allow them to rest and they had a card with exercises on it and that was all the exercises they could give them.  He also told me when people thank him for his service, he says, he really isn't doing much, but Thank You.

If it were not for my seatbelt, I would have fallen off my chair.

He asked me about my training.  I told him that in basic training we were not allowed to walk anywhere except Sunday morning.  If we wanted to go three feet we had to run.  After breakfast, at 4:00am we ran outside for inspection, no matter what the weather.  Then we low crawled through a trench filled with soft mud for about 50 yards while drill Sargents kept screaming and stepping on the back of our heads to make sure our face was in the mud.  Then we got up and ran through an obstical course before standing on line for breakfast.  Three minutes was allowed for breakfast, no talking.  Then you ran back to the barracks for a three minute change so you could get inspected.  If you failed inspection you ran for most of the rest of the day and if you were over weight, you were put in the "Dune Platoon" which was just running all day with three other guys carrying a telephone pole.  If one guy fell, the other three had to carry him, then go back for the pole.  Then you got on with whatever you were going to learn for the day.  Drill Sargeants had no problem hitting, kicking, punching or in some cases, breaking a leg on you.  You didn't get to sue but the Army paid for the cast.

That was the Army then.  The Marines did all that just to warm up.

Now, unfortunately, after talking to this fine Sailor, I feel we are turning out Snowflakes.

I hated my Drill Sargent but after a while my feelings changed dramatically and I admired the guy.

When I got to Viet Nam that training paid off because all of our fighting was in mud and there were times when that mud wasn't deep enough for me to put my face down into.  I was used to the mud and it didn't bother me one bit.  The enemy cursed at us while they were shooting, that also didn't bother me nor did the hot climate, snakes, scorpions, leaches, rain or anything else.  That is why we trained and trained hard.  We are not doing our service men and women any favors by training them like girlscouts.

Our brave fighting Men and Women deserve better and should be trained to fight, not have a bake sale.  If they find themselves in combat, they should be ready and in shape.

I am sure this new training regimen is due to lawyers.  I think when a lawyer gets involved in a case where we are trying to train Soldiers and not little girls we should gingerly remove that lawyer from the Army base and gently, threaten him to within an inch of his life, or make him go through Old School Basic training. Then we can get on with making Soldiers and let the lawyers stay in college.

If you are interested in what Basic training was like look up "Full Metal Jacket" and watch the Boot Camp part.  The rest of the movie is also very realistic.

My wife went to Manhattan today to meet our five year old Grand Daughter Greta.  (I put my wife on an UBER)  My wife is feeling much better (I hope it lasts) and they went to the America Doll something.  Greta brought her old doll to have her hair done (no really)  You don't want to know how much it costs in Rockefeller Center (right near the tree) to get a "doll's" hair done.  I thought the uber into the city was a little pricy, but they could have taken the Uber driver to the Caribbean and had his hair done cheaper.
Then my wife is buying Greta another American Girl doll.  I hope it's hair is already done because I am already selling my house, but I don't want to get a mortgage to comb the dolls hair.
Pretty soon they will make these dolls get varicose veins and cellulite so you have to take them in for liposuction.  :confused:
Green20Eyed20Greta_zpsizpyvqpp.jpg

I wrote this a few months ago, but I just found it again and I have nothing to say about my fish because they are doing what fish normally do such as eating and pooping. 

Be a Man

Last week I took my wife to California for a medical procedure and on the plane on the way home a young man sat next to me.  I knew right away he was in the service because Veterans, like myself can almost always tell who served.  I can pick out a combat Veteran every time which amazes my wife as many times I will approach a stranger and welcome him home.

Anyway, this young man was in the Navy.  He had short hair, an American Flag on his hat and backpack, and he called me "Sir".  When I come upon an older man than myself (there aren't many left) and I know he is a Vet, I also address him as Sir because that shows respect.  Something lost on almost everybody today.

We started talking about his service and he told me about his basic training and was actually embarrassed that it was so easy.  He told me that the drill instructors were not allowed to curse at them.  They couldn't hit them, They couldn't train outside if the weather was not perfect, they could only give him 20 minutes of exercise, then had to allow them to rest and they had a card with exercises on it and that was all the exercises they could give them.  He also told me when people thank him for his service, he says, he really isn't doing much, but Thank You.

If it were not for my seatbelt, I would have fallen off my chair.

He asked me about my training.  I told him that in basic training we were not allowed to walk anywhere except Sunday morning.  If we wanted to go three feet we had to run.  After breakfast, at 4:00am we ran outside for inspection, no matter what the weather.  Then we low crawled through a trench filled with soft mud for about 50 yards while drill Sargents kept screaming and stepping on the back of our heads to make sure our face was in the mud.  Then we got up and ran through an obstical course before standing on line for breakfast.  Three minutes was allowed for breakfast, no talking.  Then you ran back to the barracks for a three minute change so you could get inspected.  If you failed inspection you ran for most of the rest of the day and if you were over weight, you were put in the "Dune Platoon" which was just running all day with three other guys carrying a telephone pole.  If one guy fell, the other three had to carry him, then go back for the pole.  Then you got on with whatever you were going to learn for the day.  Drill Sargeants had no problem hitting, kicking, punching or in some cases, breaking a leg on you.  You didn't get to sue but the Army paid for the cast.

That was the Army then.  The Marines did all that just to warm up.

Now, unfortunately, after talking to this fine Sailor, I feel we are turning out Snowflakes.

I hated my Drill Sargent but after a while my feelings changed dramatically and I admired the guy.

When I got to Viet Nam that training paid off because all of our fighting was in mud and there were times when that mud wasn't deep enough for me to put my face down into.  I was used to the mud and it didn't bother me one bit.  The enemy cursed at us while they were shooting, that also didn't bother me nor did the hot climate, snakes, scorpions, leaches, rain or anything else.  That is why we trained and trained hard.  We are not doing our service men and women any favors by training them like girlscouts.

Our brave fighting Men and Women deserve better and should be trained to fight, not have a bake sale.  If they find themselves in combat, they should be ready and in shape.

I am sure this new training regimen is due to lawyers.  I think when a lawyer gets involved in a case where we are trying to train Soldiers and not little girls we should gingerly remove that lawyer from the Army base and gently, threaten him to within an inch of his life, or make him go through Old School Basic training. Then we can get on with making Soldiers and let the lawyers stay in college.

If you are interested in what Basic training was like look up "Full Metal Jacket" and watch the Boot Camp part.  The rest of the movie is also very realistic.

Sadly, but true.

Once the lawyers get involved, you have to do things by the book. Real life doesn't matter anymore..................Only a matter of time when a soldier can sue the Army for not providing three square meals a day on the battlefield.

Thank you for your service, Paul.

I went out to my new condo today to check on the construction and take pictures of the beams and rafters because I will be doing a lot of modifications and it is much easier if I can see the construction before they close up the walls.
I am installing an elevator for my wife so she can get in the place which is built over the garage so it is a flight of stairs and she doesn't do stairs well due to MS.
I sent the elevator contractor there to check out the shaft which is outside behind the stairs.

I got the drawings for the elevator today so i can submit them for a permit and I noticed in the text that it says the "Elevator shaft has to be with in 60 and 90 degrees."
He must have thought I was putting this elevator in the Bahamas but here in long Island, it goes from zero to 100 degrees during the year.

I called him just now and asked him about it.  He said, isn't the shaft in the building?  I reminded him that he just went out there to look at it.  Or did he make a mistake and go to the Bahamas?
He said "Aren't you going to heat the shaft?"  I said, "No" and I am not going to heat the parking lot, sidewalk or dumpster either.

He said, then it won't work in the winter.  Maybe he figured my wife only wants to leave the house in the summer and in an emergency, I can lower her down a rope.

Then on a whim I asked him if they make an oil heater for the oil resivour.    He said, "I think so".  Then Like DUH,  can you find that out?   He said no one ever asked about that before.

I mean, is it me!.
Why do I always have to work with Dut da dues.    You know what a Dut da due is?  Its a guy who doesn't have any idea what he is doing and just walks around going Dut da Due, Dut da due. 
It's like everyone is in the Twilight zone and I am Rod Serling.

I went out to my new condo today to check on the construction and take pictures of the beams and rafters because I will be doing a lot of modifications and it is much easier if I can see the construction before they close up the walls.

I am installing an elevator for my wife so she can get in the place which is built over the garage so it is a flight of stairs and she doesn't do stairs well due to MS.

I sent the elevator contractor there to check out the shaft which is outside behind the stairs.

I got the drawings for the elevator today so i can submit them for a permit and I noticed in the text that it says the "Elevator shaft has to be with in 60 and 90 degrees."

He must have thought I was putting this elevator in the Bahamas but here in long Island, it goes from zero to 100 degrees during the year.

I called him just now and asked him about it. He said, isn't the shaft in the building? I reminded him that he just went out there to look at it. Or did he make a mistake and go to the Bahamas?

He said "Aren't you going to heat the shaft?" I said, "No" and I am not going to heat the parking lot, sidewalk or dumpster either.

He said, then it won't work in the winter. Maybe he figured my wife only wants to leave the house in the summer and in an emergency, I can lower her down a rope.

Then on a whim I asked him if they make an oil heater for the oil resivour. He said, "I think so". Then Like DUH, can you find that out? He said no one ever asked about that before.

I mean, is it me!.

Why do I always have to work with Dut da dues. You know what a Dut da due is? Its a guy who doesn't have any idea what he is doing and just walks around going Dut da Due, Dut da due.

It's like everyone is in the Twilight zone and I am Rod Serling.

Sounds like it's time to find a new elevator guy.

Today we are putting up our Christmas tree.  It's the smallest tree we have ever got as we are moving and people are coming to view the house and we want them to be able to walk around without falling into baby Jesus and the sheep and all that.
I finished the outside a couple of days ago which was great because it will snow today.   I didn't go as crazy as I normally do but I have to do a decent job because my Birthday is on Christmas Day and I played Santa Claws my entire life.  I build all my decorations because I am not a Home Depot kind of guy and like my tank, I like my decorations to be different.  I really don't like those plastic inflatable things.  They were cool when they first came out, but now they are all over the place.
I built this plane, train and Jack in the box over the last 38 years.  The Jack in the Box is the newest.  Sadly, after Christmas I will have to get rid of all this stuff as our new condo doesn't have any place to display them.
I will put them out with a sign that says "Free" and hope someone can use them as I hate to see them go in the garbage because I put a lot of work into them.  The plane which is about 4' wide has a motor for the prop that spins slow.  It needs a new motor but I won't replace it this year.  Not much point to that.  The train "boiler" is a 20 gallon drum and it comes out to store.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Train_zpsft9nldfm.jpg

Plane_zpseywnusgs.jpg

House_zpsduxarhuv.jpg

1.jpg

SantaatHospital_zps8e140f33.jpg

When I went through Marine Corps boot camp in January of '98, we were one of the first Companies to go through under some sissified policies. While they certainly didn't go to the extremes you mentioned of the young Seaman (likely exaggerated but I understand his point and agree), I was disappointed in some ways; we had a drill instructor get relieved because he threw a duffel bag at one of the recruits (he should have ducked but the bearing was strong and he took it like a man!) who improperly placed it on the bunks.

On another note, your new angler is awesome! Would you consider selling one of these to me?  

Madweazl.  I have no more pieces. 

In my basic training in 1969 the drill Sargent's would smack, hit, punch, kick and do just about anything else to you.  Some guys ended up in the hospital with broken bones.  Thats just the way it was and there was no chance to sue anyone because you were a government property and no longer an American Citizen.  But I appreciated the training (much later) and if it were not for that, I may be dead.  I wanted to train to be in combat not sell girl scout cookies.  It also made a better man out of me and today, nothing bothers me.  :cool:

All my Steampunk pieces sold today to an art gallery in Manhattan except for two fish that I wanted to keep for myself.  I am very happy that I don't have to move them to my new home and I can start building new ones as now I have an outlet and the gallery will take whatever I make.  A couple of pieces almost sold as I was bringing them into the gallery as two people wanted them even before they priced them so I am happier than my wildest dreams.  Well, maybe not my wildest dreams as that would need a flounder, bowling pin, left rear tire from a 1957 Studebaker and a piece of meat loaf from Lady GaGa's dress. :rolleyes:

Here is my wife with one of my pieces on the counter in the Gallery.  She is my spokesmodel. :D

Art%20Gallery_zpsmwxqnqug.jpg

Darn, now you'll be famous and I'll be unable to afford your work! 

I hear ya in regard to recruit training; people forget the military employs professional killers but the promise of a college education or consistent pay check seems to be the main selling point these days. 

Today I called my elevator installer to ask him about the problem with the thing not working in the winter.  I figured that was a viable question before I fork over $35,000.00 for the thing.  He didn't have an answer for me so I asked for the guy who owns the company who makes the elevator.  I called the guy and explained the situation to him.  He said they don't recommend putting the elevator in this place with no heat.
I asked, what part of it needs to be heated?  He said the motor and oil resivour along with the ten foot piston.
I asked if it comes with an oil heater?  Yes it does, but not for the temperatures we have here on Long Island.  I said, but you are selling the thing here on Long Island, not in the Bahamas.
He didn't have an answer.
So I said can't I just put the motor and oil resivour in an insulated box and heat that?
He said that is a good idea.  But what about the 10' piston.
I said can't I just put a heat trace wire around the piston and put pipe insulation on it like we do to prevent pipes from freezing.
He said, that is also a good idea.

I then said, then why am I designing this project instead of you?
Like Duh.  As I said, I am dealing with Jibonies.

I am today building the lights for my new condo. They are called Wine barrel lights built "obviously" from old wine barrel hoops. I need three of them for over the Island in the kitchen.
I saw them on line for about $115.00 which is not bad but I would rather build them. I built the white form out of poured concrete and embedded a bolt near the top to hold the hoop as I bend it. I bent the hoops around the cone shaped mold. Later I will put a clear coat on them and add the socket and bulb. I am going for the industrial look.
I am also building our bed. It will be built to look like a big, industrial dolly with huge steel wheels on it. The platform will be re purposed barn timbers and it will be really cool looking and have quite a bit of hidden storage.
I buy very little because anyone can do that. :cool:

Hoop%20Light_zpsiqgd3sr1.jpg

This is the one sold, mine will look just like it.

Wine-Hoop-Pendent-Lighting-2_zpszfu43alw

Can you get a first floor condo, or is it too late for that? Most the condo communities around here have homeowner associations which would never go for such modifications as an elevator. I am curious the style of this condo community.

Sounds fancy shmansy.

Of course I can, but they all have stairs.  This one has a huge workshop and garage, each one is about 18' X 20' which is about 3 times larger than my workshop here.  It is also right on the Sound and brand new.  

My unit is the one just above the garage as I didn't want the top floor (but my wife did).  By law they have to let you make it handicap accessible.

The elevator will be right behind the stairs which you can see in the front, still plywood.

An elevator shaft was built when they built the units because it is handicapped accessible and my wife is handicapped.  

condo_zpsoxvkdigb.jpg

This is my home now.

2013-08-05%2000.23.26_zpszxjkwdvl.jpg

Edited by paul b

I like the house talk. I just recently moved into a home built in 1958. We bought it from the original owner, which was really neat. Very well maintained, but needing lots of updates. Had to replace all the two prong outlets, etc. However, the bonuses being it has plaster walls, solid construction, brick all around, etc. Can't wait to get it where I want it over time.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/gallery/album_1736/gallery_2632417_1736_1881.jpg 

trying to link it

http://wamas.org/forums/gallery/image/20716-house/ 

Let me help you with that....

gallery_2632417_1736_1881.jpg

Edited by Origami
embedded photo