Warren's 90 gallon Zeovit tank

Finally ponied up for a membership.  Thought I would post a few pics of my recent build.  It's an atypical Zeovit tank from the start.  Started with a mix of dry Pukani and BRS Reef Saver.  I also dose kalk for now, which was an unexpected change of plan due to CO2 levels in the house.  I'll go into more detail when I have time, my 2 year old just woke up :)

FTS Oct 2, 2013

10052897985_329d3065c0_c.jpg

FTS Jan 8, 2014

12401660994_943f0b31a8_b.jpg

9310679824_26c3c3c22f_c.jpg

9310682826_1f113bca54_c.jpg

10052994386_74350dbd29_c.jpg

10052950475_a4b585a1ac_c.jpg

10053049843_8231381af7_c.jpg

10052897425_e5902e50bc_c.jpg

Edited by wangspeed

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty tank....specs?

It's a Marineland 90. Modified so that the overflow section is a Herbie drain and the return is on the opposite side.

2 pumps for movement. WP25 and WP40. One on wave and the other on else. The WP25 shuts off for 4 hours at night to give the fish and LPS/zoas a break.

29 gallon sump. I'll take pics of that when I get the chance. It started off really organized and now it's a bit of a mess :(

--

Warren

Tank looks good. What kind of light are you using?

Reef Breeders Photon 48. It's a 2 channel with integrated controller 4' long which covers the tank perfectly. Getting great growth from my montis already.

I threw all the frags in temporary places. It's only been 3 weeks for some of those frags and the mystic sunset has already started encrusting the rock! Guess that one is in it's final location.

--

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good. I would highly advise you to remove those electronics from under the stand.

Why? Humidity concerns? The back of the stand is open and it isn't all the way against the wall due to the window sill.

--

Warren

Why? Humidity concerns? The back of the stand is open and it isn't all the way against the wall due to the window sill.

--

Warren

Better safe than sorry. It's really clean, and you've got it nicely organized, but I agree with Gadgets.

One day after I had hooked up a DJ strip about a foot away from my sump under the stand I came home to find my return clamp broken, and my pump essentially tossing a wave out the side of my sump. Needless to say, I shorted the strip, nearly had a fire on my hands, and zapped the heck out of my hand while ripping it all out as quickly as possible. I never shared that story, but I did move all my electric items as far as physically possible from under the stand. I'm so lucky it happened on a weekend, or else I would have had a fire, no doubt about it.

BTW, awesome tank, your fish choices are fantastic, and everything looks like it's going great, tagging along!

Hmm, very valid concerns.  My original plan was to have a partition for electronics, but that was with a 5' custom tank/stand.  My wife vetoed that, and I had to shrink it, and she doesn't want anything outside the stand :(  I'm afraid I'll have to manage what I have for now.  Everything is on GFCI, ground wire, and surge protectors.

Definitely something I will revisit on the next tank though.  Hoping I'll have more horizontal space :)

Tank related: Found 2 tiny aptasia that came in on a rainbow acan.  Nuked with prejudice.  Praying it doesn't spread.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Tank is doing very well.  Corals continue to thrive.  Going to look at a Laboutei wrasse tomorrow that I have on hold at Marine Scene.

Somehow I managed to transfer digitate hydroids to the new tank from my old tank.  I'm so pissed.  I even nuked the little live rock that I transferred in RODI, and dipped the old frags in Bayer.  Sigh.

I ordered up a Jebao DC12000.  Severe overkill, but they don't have the 9000 at Fish Street.  Going to swap the return pump out, and set it up to power a water change system too.  I'm lazy, what can I say.  Plus I need extra capacity, because my return splits to feed the fuge section with my Zeovit reactor and mini fuge.

Edited by wangspeed

Did you get the electronics out of the sump area?

Unfortunately no. I don't have room. I've been requested to keep them all within the stand. Have to go longer with the next tank.

--

Warren

With the high C02 you could put a C02 scrubber on your skimmer intake line, or just run it out that window behind the tank.

I have a high tech scrubber waiting to go. Juice bottle and soda lime. For now I crack the window since the weather is so nice.

--

Warren

I have a high tech scrubber waiting to go. Juice bottle and soda lime. For now I crack the window since the weather is so nice.

--

Warren

Yea, I have the BRS one.  It was like $30.  It forces all the air through the media with the use of o rings etc.  Pretty nice unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Warren - how's the tank coming along?  I'm reading up on Zeo products and am thinking about  converting.  Do you notice a difference with using Zeo products?  Can you post some recent pics?  I'm thinking about upgrading my tank and want to start right off using Zeo.  Thanks