Euphyllia Eating Flatworms and Treatment (EEFW)

Huly

I am starting this seperate where you can see everything without the discussion on trying to determine what these critters were.

On Monday 6/3/13 we noticed our Torch corals were a little sucked in.  All water parameters were good so we decided to watch them.  On Thursday 6/6/13 we noticed something that looked like algae on the side of the yellow torch but when we touched it, it moved.  We were able to grab one with a tweezer (apx 1-1.5 inch long) and they move very fast.  Most affected seems to be Yellow Torch

Before photos:

Torchsuckedin_zps98942b3c.jpg

GoldTorch_zpsace643dc.jpg

GoldTorch3_zps23d29d02.jpg

GoldTorch2_zps321eb371.jpg

YellowTorch3_zpse71a8ebb.jpg

yellowtorch_zps4dc2ac10.jpg

After lots of research (not much out there on these) we decided to do one dip on Coral RX (do more as needed) and to purchase a Yellow Coral Wrasse.  We also dipped other LPS including Aussies and SPS. We used 2 home depot buckets with 2 gallons tank water each.  One with small light pupmp for Coral RX dose and one for rinse.

2_zps79cc0236.jpg

1_zps0db09d3d.jpg

4_zps79422a6c.jpg

3_zps9e45d4ba.jpg

6_zpsce0e8d1f.jpg

5_zpscd3ff9d7.jpg

YellowCorisWrasse_zps7a67f879.jpg

Torches Right After Dip

RATorches_zps128ad80b.jpg

RAGold_zps31cfef11.jpg

1 Hour after dip

1HTorches_zpsc8117a00.jpg

RAGold_zps31cfef11.jpg

1hourTOAussie_zps16099071.jpg

Tickedofftank_zpsadcdfdac.jpg

18 Hours After Dip

18HYellow_zpsf409469e.jpg

18HGold_zps1619a772.jpg

18HGreen_zps01c26a0f.jpg

18hTorches_zps9e936845.jpg

24 Hours After (We were worried we would lose the one yellow but it seems one of the Gold torches it recovering slower than the rest)

24HGold22_zps5a011525.jpg

24HGold1_zps4d72a6ca.jpg

24HGold2_zps23131307.jpg

24HGreen_zps306e7a7b.jpg

24HYellow_zps2133dfbb.jpg

24HFullTank_zpscb75ea9a.jpg

(edited)

Great info and pictures. Can you detail the dosage and times or did you just follow the CoralRX directions?

We did followed the dosage on the bottle but doubled it as we dipped rock and all not knowing what might be on it.  Example in stead of 1G we used 2 G and doubled the dose of Coral RX per bottle.

Edited by Huly

(edited)

We did followed the dosage on the bottle but doubled it as we dipped rock and all not knowing what might be on it.  Example in stead of 1G we used 2 G and doubled the dose of Coral RX per bottle.

I want to say the recommended dosage is 20 ml per gallon, so we did 40 (as we used 2 gallons). We left it in there with the small pump running for about 10 min. and then turned them upside down and swirled them in the mixture and to remove excess dead worms.

We then swirled them in the clean 2 gallons of tank water to rinse off excess dip for about a minute and then placed back in the tank.

One thing I did notice during this procedure was a buildup of white "junk/tissue" on the torches that I tried to blowoff (most that I could) with a turkey baster.

I don't have any pictures of it before I blew it off, but some of the residual white "junk/tissue" you can see on the after pictures.... anyone have any idea what it may be?

Edited by netpez

great job you two!!!

Tank looks fantastic as always BTW.....

the white stuff could have just been their slime ...when stressed they release it...was it stringy and white?

(edited)

great job you two!!!

Tank looks fantastic as always BTW.....

the white stuff could have just been their slime ...when stressed they release it...was it stringy and white?

Yup... looks like they sneezed white snot all over themselves (large amount too). 

Was it ok to try to remove some of it?

- Big Boy elegance was pissed for a while, but the second I put some food in the tank, he opened to his normal size and started munching

- Baby Elegance recovered quickly

- Blasto seems to be doing better after the dip too, even though I did not notice anything on him

- Yellow acro is puffed back out looking like a bush almost immediately

- Blue acro is is a little slower in getting its polyps out, but is recovering

- Green torch is recovering nicely

- Yellow torch is recovering nicely (surprising since it looked the worst before the dip_

- 2 gold torches still don't look so hot

BTW... the yellow coris wrasse we got maybe the most chill fish I have ever seen. During acclimation, dumping him from container to container.... he never freaked out... just went around looking for food. We got scared in the morning, because he completely disappeared, but we found out, that he may be sleeping in the sand. He popped right out during midday and went along his business looking for food. Not sure he really fits in with the psycho's we currently have in our tank.

Edited by netpez

i use it for everything....I haven't come across anything that didn't survive it...some things like deep waters I dip quickly as IME they have been very sensitive to dipping...

yes it was good to remove the snot stuff lol...its what they release when there is a chemical war in your tank and it can harm other corals if it lands on them

Did you guys scrape the egg sacs off?

We are planning on doing several dips over the next several weeks. I keep hearing both ways on the egg scarping. Some folks have told me that the area I have some of the eggs are on is very delicate and that scarping could damage the coral (some are on the main trunk, but sup are at the edge/opening of the coral.

Thoughts?

personally I would scrape or cut them out...the chances of the coral dying vs recovering leans heavily to recovering....

what if he put super glue on them instead? would that work?

The eggs are laid on the hard coral skeleton so it can be scraped. You could also coat the eggs with super glue which is what I prefer. The super lgue dues not stick to the coral tissue because of the slime. I would do either one after every dip to speed up the process or reduce the amount of follow up dips needed.

Also we got the Coris Wrasse incase we miss anything as supposedly they will eat them.  :)

(edited)

...and you're sure these particular flatworms lay eggs? Have you seen any? Do you know what to look for? Post pictures of the eggs, please. Thank you. 

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

We are planning on doing several dips over the next several weeks. I keep hearing both ways on the egg scarping. Some folks have told me that the area I have some of the eggs are on is very delicate and that scarping could damage the coral (some are on the main trunk, but sup are at the edge/opening of the coral.

Thoughts?

I think at this point you need to do whatever it takes to get the eggs off the coral or glue them like coralhind said. Dipping and not taking care of the eggs each time/week you dip will cause more harm that a simple scraping. Plus it will make the fight twice as long.

Also I sent the photos etc off to Reef Keeping Magazine to see if they have any data on this as I can not find anything from them or other sources.

48 Hours after dip (going to get close ups tonight) Most look really good but the back Gold one

48HGreen_zps904cfa98.jpg

48HTorches_zpsf6425d6f.jpg

48HYellowGold_zps7dcb91ff.jpg

I suggest culturing the next ones that you find to determine their life cycle. If you knew those facts, an effective treatment plan would be much easier to administer.

If you decide to go this route, I have plenty of Octospawn that I can donate.

I suggest culturing the next ones that you find to determine their life cycle. If you knew those facts, an effective treatment plan would be much easier to administer.

If you decide to go this route, I have plenty of Octospawn that I can donate.

Honestly if I did not kill all of mine it would be an interesting study as there is not any scientific data I can find on these.  Lots on forums etc and most treat like other pest with Coral Rx etc

Torch update!  Still no sign of eggs or worms.  3 of the torches bounced back great but one gold one is pretty bad. 

Bad Gold one

Gold1_zpsce52449d.jpg

Gold2_zpsb400d679.jpg

Green_zps5a29edbd.jpg

Yellow_zps1c1e2cf5.jpg

YellowGolds_zps639c957e.jpg

We did dip two yesterday and looked for eggs, scraping anything we saw.  Nothing came off the torches.  We did lose one gold one but the others will hopefully be ok! (Photos of Torches are after dip)

Dip2_zps73b9f5fb.jpg

Torch2_zps6d7d5604.jpg

Torchafterdip2_zpsf1495887.jpg

YellowTorch_zpsf3cc5ced.jpg

Greentorch_zpsbf56bc8c.jpg

goldtorch_zpsdb72cf06.jpg