Red Spot Cardinals

wade

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 Weeks in and we are doing great with the 1st batch.  All 5 are still alive and one of the males has eggs in its mouth!  Not sure how to breed these but I guess they like my tank!

The 2nd batch are 2 weeks in, and the 2 that survived acclimation are also doing great.

Any advice on how I can successfully raise some fry?

They're mouth brooders like many Cardinals are but there is virtually no information about breeding them other than Live Aquaria has done it. You're best bet is to likely try and follow instructions for other type of mouth brooding cardinals.

They might just not be experienced enough yet to care for the eggs properly. Happens fairly often with younger fish, there is a bit of a learning curve for them in general. My seahorses spent almost two months messing up their egg transfers before they finally got it figured out.

In 6 weeks, the 1st batch in my DT have really grown and are doing super.  I was hoping they would shoal a little more, but now that they are used to my tank, they just sort of hang out and sometimes shoal.  It could also be that in a 34gal tank, they are always close enough and would appear to be shoaling in a larger tank.

The 2 fish in the OT will be moved in the next week or two to the DT.  They also have grown, but not like the DT ones who have been getting lots of food from my incesent feeding of the Orange Spotted Filefish.

Got any videos of them shoaling?

I'll try to take some video.  However, with the small 34gal tank and their current comfort level, they don't shoal as much as I was hoping.  I think in a larger tank, they would appear to shoal much more.  When agitated they all get together for protection.  When I 1st introduced them to the tank, they all stayed within a hand span of each other all the time.  Very cool.  After a couple days, less so.  Now they seem to stay within 16 inches of each other...

I'll try to take some video. However, with the small 34gal tank and their current comfort level, they don't shoal as much as I was hoping. I think in a larger tank, they would appear to shoal much more. When agitated they all get together for protection. When I 1st introduced them to the tank, they all stayed within a hand span of each other all the time. Very cool. After a couple days, less so. Now they seem to stay within 16 inches of each other...

Here is video of the OSF and the Red Spots. You can see how they stick together in my tank.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgZxHG5u0INfrKpGPl7cDcd4hHYriA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like another clutch of eggs...funny to watch him eat. Basically, he spits out the eggs and requires them while taking in food.

Looks like another clutch of eggs...funny to watch him eat. Basically, he spits out the eggs and requires them while taking in food.

Are the red cardinals similar to the regular black and white? I have seen miss saltwatertank and her troubles raising her cardinal eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the red cardinals similar to the regular black and white? I have seen miss saltwatertank and her troubles raising her cardinal eggs.

These are small fish similar to fresh water neons. I really have no clue on how to successfully raise any fry. Last batch disappeared after a day or two.

These are small fish similar to fresh water neons. I really have no clue on how to successfully raise any fry. Last batch disappeared after a day or two.

Oh these are freshwater fish??? Then nvm. Good luck though.

Add they are gone...

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully not a trend... that's what happened with mine... all fine for weeks/months...then slowly started disappearing one by one... a year later.. all gone

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep same with me, I lost 3-4 that I just never found any evidence of but they're so small that my clean up crew likely "cleaned" them up.

And then there were 5.

I think the issue is feedings. I have reduced from 4-6 feedings a day to 2-3 for the last couple of weeks to better fit my schedule.