Brian's 105g SPS

corsi1330

Hello,

I have never documented a tank build before and have set up 6-7 tanks in the past. I would like to share this one. For the most part I have kept my tanks in my basement and never really had to worry about aesthetics of "stand and lighting". This one is going to go in my office so I will really want to do this one first class.

I have slowly been gathering equipment for this one and just finally picked up the tank a few weeks ago. I went to TFP with the idea of just purchasing a Perfecto 120g. I was unaware that they just started stocking Deep Sea Aquatics tanks as well. I quickly changed my mind as the build quality looks much better and I prefer the one center overflow. This tank is slightly different in size than the Perfecto as the height is 21" not 24". Cost a little bit more but I am happy with the decision.

I am going to build my own stand as I have experience in cabnetry. I have built several stands for a few WAMAS members in the past and have a few good ideas. Not going to use any 2"x4"s just 3/4 birch plywood and poplar for the doors and fluted columns. My plan is to also purchase a granite top. I have contacts and relationships with several granite dealers I have used in the past and hopefully can get this made for me at a reasonable cost.

Here are a couple pics of the tank and the progress I made today on the stand.

Tank

64c23147-e6e4-4149-9d5d-43672655ae2e_zps2fea17a9.jpg

Back panel

IMG_0217_zps9b7557fa.jpg

Side panels

b32d25ce-b642-4cd8-b231-e36cf3f48d0d_zps6fe510e7.jpg

Back side of face frame "not yet fastened with pocket screws"

IMG_0216_zps8674bddf.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for everyones kind words. Look forward to the process and the support.

Going to have to make sure everything is laying flat and true so not to crack the granite but should not be a problem.

A stand with granite!! This is going to be nice

man love the dimensions......been getting into shorter tanks lately...just easier to maintain...light needs are less etc etc

What are the equipment plans (lights/return pump/ dosing ca/rx etc)

definately going to tag along with this one.

man love the dimensions......been getting into shorter tanks lately...just easier to maintain...light needs are less etc etc

What are the equipment plans (lights/return pump/ dosing ca/rx etc)

definately going to tag along with this one.

Going to actually tie this into my basement sump "100g tub" with a blueline 70 as the feed. The location of the tank is about 10' away from the sump in the basement and pretty much inline so really straight forward. I have two registers for my HVAC in my office and one of them is dead center of where I want the tank to sit. Going to take that register and boot out and run the plumbing through that void. This way I do not need to drill the hardwood. I should have enough room to just go back with a smaller 4"-6" flexible pipe and run the register in the toe kick of the stand.

As far as lighting goes I originally thought of 2 400w halides but am considering just buying new 250w ballasts and converting. My aquascape this time is just going to be two piles of rock "one larger than the other" so I think the 250's will be just fine. Got some free time this week and should be able to make a lot of progress.

I too like the dimensions. I'm looking forward to seeing the stand as this guy has some great skills.

Thanks! Will take a lot of pics!

ill bet youll be fine with 250's....espesciall if you have reflectors

i could grow sps anywhere in my 90g with 2 250 radiums with spider reflectorcs and that was 27 deep i think...also had 4 54w t5s though

i have the galaxy dual 250 and like it alot so far....color is about the same as the pfo ballast i used to run...i wouldnt mind a select a watt just in case i ever wanted 400 watters.

funny how things come together sometimes...register in the perfect spot.....

definately looking forward to the build/pics of some of those sticks.

Here is tonights update. I found a pic of a stand I built a couple of years ago that I really liked. This one will be very similiar except for the top. I did not detail to much of the assembly of the cabinet but I was able to get the shell done and am happy with it. Originally I was going to add a center style but once I started laying out the face frame I thought the two openings would be to small if I ever decided to add a sump under the stand.

Old build

fbc0675a-0fae-4213-8263-e18c769c3bd2_zps96eed59c.jpg

Shell

IMG_0225_zps1966e393.jpg

When you have the tools he has in those pics it don't take long. Vwery nice, can't wait to see it finished.

what the H-E-double hockey sticks. did you make that in 24 hours?

LOL. I am usually impatient and had some free time. Actually going to order the granite top tomorrow morning and should have the stand built by the end of the weekend. With any luck I will have the stand-top-tank in place by the end of next week.

Awesome mill skills.

Won't the granite be covered? Could you just do the trim in granite somehow?

Yeah most of the top will be covered. Only about an 1 1/2" projection. Should be a nice contrast and worth the gamble for $200. Plus I do not have to make the top and paint it!

Yeah most of the top will be covered. Only about an 1 1/2" projection. Should be a nice contrast and worth the gamble for $200. Plus I do not have to make the top and paint it!

Yea $200 isn't bad. Worth a few hours of work probably just to slap it on. Following along.

Well, been a long weekend. Here is an update on progress. I decided to get the hood done as well so I took a few ideas I saw and tried to make the hood as light as possible and easy to move equipment. Below is what I came up with and actually think it will work well. The canopy will hang from the ceiling "not sure on what chain, wire/cable". The equipment will just be able to hang on slats of wood and be positioned wherever I need as I built a lip to allow me to move equipment. Also built this without any ladder framing. The stand is primed and I have made all of the doors and side panels. Just need to finish priming everything tonight and I should be just left with a couple coats of my finishing paint. I still hate painting LOL.

IMG_0245_zps3ec067f2.jpg

IMG_0244_zps8d3702eb.jpg