Marisa & Justin's Fish Room

SunWyrm

My addiction ends here (I hope!). I'm trying to consolidate all of my tanks into only a few big ones. ;) My 360 gallon is still slowly in the works and I will keep everyone updated, but my 180 fuge now has a deep sand bed and water!

tn_gallery_2632744_937_172.jpg

As of right now we have a 75 and 90 up and running holding all of our livestock but the 360 and 180 are also in our fish room so there isn't much for maneuverability until we start moving things around. We finally got in all of the black sand we need and I've started working on a foam/rock wall for the 360.

tn_gallery_2632744_937_96791.jpg

Although I'm beginning to suspect I missed a step with the sand...this was how long my first can of foam lasted. Today I got in 10 more. clap.gif It will look better later I promise.

More pictures and updates to come!

Edited by YiatzOfEden

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Those damsels are some nasty little guys...killed about three chromis and a couple of their own... :sad: yet I just got this big one at petland. It's a pansy...foxface is king. This damsel is about 3-4" foxface is about 5".

Lol, yeah they were pretty mean, but my male coral beauty put them in their place fast when I got him. ATM they're exceptionally nice, hoping they stay that way when they go in their new 29g in our living room (I bought them a male!..so excited!)

What kind of damsel did you get?

I dont know lol. It was in the coral tank at petland. It was so shy, and looked so good I had to get it. Check the videos out on my 160 tank build link in my signature.

Petland is a bit overpriced (shh don't tell them I said that!) but most LFS are. Their reasoning is shipping cost but if ppl do group buys that's irrelevant -sigh- they just don't listen.

There are some LFS that I love though, and my local Petco is amazing! I know Ima get hammered for that comment but for all they're problems, our petco really does have ppl who care... which is so important in a fish store. Yeah, they're bound to have ick and disease but that's not always their fault. And you can't be knowledgeable on every fish - although having google handy in-store is a must imo, or at least on customer's smart phones now - I don't impulse buy, I google/research on the way to checkout! hehe

Anyway sorry for the rant - I've had a lot of pain with LFS around here (and from working at LFS since I was 16) and am at the point where if I can't get it from someone on wamas, I'm just going to go online.

Beautiful fish though! I've always drooled over them. How big is he?

I googled it, but wasnt sure what to search. Since we didn't have a type to look up. I checked fish sites, and image searches. But didn't want to take too much time. I made a quick call, there were several small fish out and swimming. One tang out and swimming. But this guys hiding behind anything it can find. The behavior seemed so calm. I got it home, and it was hiding immediately. Then later it was aggressive until my foxface put it in its place with those legendary spines. Almost begging the damsel to bite! Now it's all good. Neon goby is healthy, mandarin gobies are good. All three of those fish are barely 1-1.5". Damsel is pushing 3.5-4". Other than the damsel I've faught and avoided impulse buys. I'd just like to finally be able to get an orange shoulder tang by the end of this week, and I can pretty much close the book on fish stock. Doing research first has really saved a lot of complications. I had opportunities to get several of these great fish, then realized all these little things that won't mix with my system. So its been a challenge staying on course. But it is so worth it! :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a new phone, and will upload pics tonight hopefully. Being without a camera is such a hassle! My 5 chromis seem very happy and all my levels are good. Hanging lights this weekend on the 180.

Also, I'm sad - I can't find my male b&w clown, I hope he turns up soon. Some fish can go missing for a day or two without worry, but for a clown who is always front and center and trying to bite my fingers... :(

My anemone moved and with it the female, I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I've looked in every corner I can think of. There's too many hiding spaces that I can't see though so Im hopeful. I'd never find a body if he did die. I have too many scavengers.

I'm gonna feel silly if I call home later and he's back out again like nothing happened.

Wow I'm sad.

My husband called me this morning at work. He found the bw dead in the anemone the picasso was hosting. He wasn't there when I checked this morning. No idea how he got there unless she put him there or the nem picked him up close by.

On a slightly happier note, I have a snowflake upstairs who gets a mate now.

All of my clowns were under 2". I just called my picasso my female since it was the first to host and the more dominate. The BW guarded her and the nem ferociously w/e I stuck my hand in the tank even though he never went in. The BW was our second fish purchase ever. They made such a pretty pair.

I'm really gonna miss that fish.

The snowflake immediately went in the 75 and tail-slapped the picasso in the face. Picasso is more noticeably female (odd how I didn't notice her bodyshape change compared with the bw). And all is well. There's a few torn fins on both and a bite mark on her from the first meetup but they seem much more accepting and "happy." It's weird having 2 orange clowns, but they're pretty together. Maybe I can get some little snowcasso babies sometime in the future. Makes me feel better...

Trying out my new phone's camera tonight. Uploading PICS SOON!

(edited)

More livestock pics from our 75g. I'm going to work on hanging lights on the 180g and plumbing my 29g damsel tank this weekend.

post-2632744-131862271187_thumb.jpg

post-2632744-131862297908_thumb.jpg

post-2632744-13186229799_thumb.jpg

post-2632744-131862298032_thumb.jpg

post-2632744-131862298077_thumb.jpg

Edited by YiatzOfEden

I got Imgur and as soon as I round up more photos I'll post the link. Thanks!

Spent my sick day supervising my husband move our 90g out of the middle of the room and into it's permanent spot as the future qt. Very pretty to come down the stairs and see it... and then walk into the fishroom! Everything is doing so well, except for my conch: the eel saw him as a tasty treat. I should've seen that one coming. Moved my smaller conch and the cucumber outta there... Now the 180 is housing 5 chromis, firefish pair, and my "nice" male carpenter wrasse.

We also finally got the 29g damsel tank's sump up and running. Very productive day for not feeling well.

It's going to be hard to top that one! I think the only way to best that is to move the 75 and 360 into place next!

Anyone ever move a frag to a temporary location and then forget where you put it? ...I hope my lawnmower didn't decide to hide it...she does that a lot unsure.gif