7 replies to this topic

#1 treesprite

treesprite

breaker of tanks... and bones

• WAMAS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,733 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:45 AM

Anyone know what the average in-captivity lifespan of the typical firefish is, not counting leaping from aquariums or dying from a disease? I looked around the net a little and couldn't find the information. Thanks.

Forrest

lovelfs5_zpsa7d0b97e.jpg

250x43shtbnr.jpg

#2 Coral Hind

Coral Hind

Neptune Reefer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,225 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:37 AM

3 years is what I have heard over the years. I have never had one live more then about a year and a half.

#3 treesprite

treesprite

• WAMAS Member
  • 8,733 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

Interestig how there is no answer to this question anywhere. When I was searching around for one, I came across the question in the form of a Reef Central thread and guess what? As big as RC is, no one answered that guy's thread either.

Forrest

lovelfs5_zpsa7d0b97e.jpg

250x43shtbnr.jpg

#4 lanman

lanman

Uberfragmeister

• BB Member
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Interestig how there is no answer to this question anywhere. When I was searching around for one, I came across the question in the form of a Reef Central thread and guess what? As big as RC is, no one answered that guy's thread either.

So perhaps nobody has ever owned one from baby to adult, that they thought died of 'old age'.

bob
17 Dec 2006: Started hobby with 24-gallon Aquapod with HQI light. 35 lbs. live rock.
March 2007: Added 45-gallon reef w/T5's. U-tube overflow.
April 2007: Separate 33-gallon frag system with 20-gallon sump/refugium, hob skimmer.
May 2007: Hated the U-tube and the 12x36 shape of the 45; moved everything into a 58-gallon 18x36 reef-ready tank. GSA skimmer. Kalk reactor. Media reactor.
10 Dec 2007: Put rocks and first corals in a new 240-gallon tank. Custom 3'x5', Calfo overflow. 10 60" 80W T5 lights, GSA skimmer, kalk stirrer. Added GSA CA reactor April 2008. Added media reactor. Added refugium. Added Remote Deep Sand Bed.
May 2009: Added 40-gallon frag tank to the 33-gallon frag system. More T5's.
July 2009: Swapped out the 58-gallon tank for a 50-gallon 'stock tank'.
October 2009: 240G is WAMAS TOTM.
http://www.bobzreef.com/

Best massage in Stafford!!

Posted Image

#5 hypertech

hypertech

Grandmaster Reefer

• WAMAS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:35 PM

I've got a purple one I've had for about 2.5 yrs so they live at least that long. I haven't seen it in about a week though that isn't unusual. It likes to hide in a hole.

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing. -Optimus Prime

#6 Matt LeBaron

Matt LeBaron

Reefer

• WAMAS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Paintball, Warhammer 40k, Anime, and Board Games.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hopefully no one minds me resurrecting this thread but I went looking for the same answer and Google found this thread (and very little else). My little Firefish, Vince is a bit over 4 years old now. I was wondering this afternoon how long they live since he was the very first fish I got back when I started with a 55G. He's still in good health as far as I can tell dispite some injuries over the past 2 years from trying to hide with my gobies and pistol shrimp. The Pistol Shrimp doesn't appreciate it and you can hear him snapping at poor little Vince and he usually has some fin damage or minor wounds afterwards. He always healed up without a problem though.

I recently lost one of my first seahorses to as far as I can tell old age, Theoria was just short of 4 years old and didn't show any signs of illness other than slowing down a bit before she passed so it's gotten me thinking about how long some of my original inhabitants will live. My first three non invert inhabitants were Theoria (female seahorse), Stevie (male seahorse), and Vince (Firefish). Stevie is still doing well but he seems to be getting a bit snile in his later years as he still knows the clear plastic tube means food but has gotten that it comes out of the bottom of the tube not the side or top.

-Matthew LeBaron

#7 treesprite

treesprite

• WAMAS Member
  • 8,733 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I just responded to this post and when I hit to post it, my entire window closed.

At anyrate...

The only thing I don't like about thread revivals is that I end up having to do updated research....

Forrest

lovelfs5_zpsa7d0b97e.jpg

250x43shtbnr.jpg

#8 treesprite

treesprite

• WAMAS Member
  • 8,733 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

purple firefish says 3 years: http://www.fishlore....plefirefish.htm

blue gudgeon (another type of dartfish) says 8 to 12 here! I had no idea they have such a long lifespan - maybe I will re-visit the notion of getting some. http://www.theaquari...ris_heteroptera

Seems like stuff keeps taking me to pages about gobies. Firefish are not gobies, people!

Forrest

lovelfs5_zpsa7d0b97e.jpg

250x43shtbnr.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users