Interceptor is a controlled substance!

davelin315

Please remember that Interceptor is a controlled substance and that buying or selling it is not allowed. If you offer to buy or sell it you are violating state and federal laws. It is OK to ask for recommendations on where to get it as long as you recommend a person who has a license to prescribe it, otherwise please remember that buying or selling it is illegal.

And provide more specific guidance. My suggestion.

If you find red bugs in your tank post the following thread: "I have red bugs and need some guidance on treatment. Please PM me with any information you can provide to help me."

I don't think this violated as WAMAS rules and I for one certainly don't want my tank getting infested with red bugs or others in club and I think people should take responsibilty to treat their tank if they find problems. I think we need to understand that although this is a controlled substance, lets be honest, not one wants them passed around...

Edited by watson_barrett

Guys, it's simple - you can't buy or sell a controlled substance without a prescription. If you want some, feel free to ask if anyone knows of a vet who will prescribe it to you, but you can't offer any that you have to someone else and you can't ask to buy it from someone, that's illegal. WAMAS cannot allow you to traffic in controlled substances here. I know that no one is trying to do anything illegal, but if you do try to buy or sell it, that is in fact against the law without a prescription. I have no problem with people referring people to a vet that is willing to write the prescription, but if the post sounds at all like a transaction, then it'll be gone. Note that I only removed posts that were asking to buy it or sounded like there might be an offer to sell it.

As far as what you mention, no, we certainly don't want to pass them around, but you simply cannot break the law to do it. A controlled substance is a controlled substance, no matter the use.

• 5 months later...

In the spirit of doing this the right and legal way....

Could anybody provide referals to a Vet that would subscribe this to somebody that doesn't have a dog? If somebody has a reef-educated vet in Nova, I would rather go there than try to explain it to a newbie.

In the spirit of doing this the right and legal way....

Could anybody provide referals to a Vet that would subscribe this to somebody that doesn't have a dog? If somebody has a reef-educated vet in Nova, I would rather go there than try to explain it to a newbie.

If you happen to already have a vet for a dog or cat, I found that they're willing to give it to you since you have a pre-established relationship. My vet gave it to me - she's on Capital Hill behind Union Station, if that's at all convenient for you. However, I don't know if she'd be willing to prescribe it to others.

~Brian

Thanks for that. I had a dog until last year, it died at the age 18. darn near immortal! It supplied Interceptor for 3 tanks.

I will start with the vet I used for that dog and go from there. I wonder if a vet could get in trouble for prescribing for a different purpose than it was approved for. I think they call that prescribing "off label".

It is a shame we can't get this sorted out in the hobby. Just a lot of decent folks trying to take care of their animals. I bet it takes a mountain of paperwork to make this use of interceptor legit. If anybody knew how to take a run at the root problem, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for that. I had a dog until last year, it died at the age 18. darn near immortal! It supplied Interceptor for 3 tanks.

I will start with the vet I used for that dog and go from there. I wonder if a vet could get in trouble for prescribing for a different purpose than it was approved for. I think they call that prescribing "off label".

It is a shame we can't get this sorted out in the hobby. Just a lot of decent folks trying to take care of their animals. I bet it takes a mountain of paperwork to make this use of interceptor legit. If anybody knew how to take a run at the root problem, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the advice.

There is no problem at all for off label use. The "label" is what the FDA is allowing the drug manufacturer to "advertise", "state", "market", etc. a particular drug. Not having FDA approval does not mean that it will not work or can not be used in that fashion, just that the manufacturer has not spent the cash to go through the FDA process for approval including clinical trials. A doctor that has the license to prescribe a drug can use it in any way he or she sees fit to treat his or her "patient of record". The doctor will be liable for malpractice if it is deemed that he or she caused harm and was negligent in their practice.

yep. off-label use is fine. for people, it usually means your insurance won't cover it. My vet set up a "fish" pet under our account and gives it to us under that. There's no problem, they just need to be sure that you know what you're doing with it before they give it to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to help some peeps that need a reference. Please contact Dr. Dove Vet Clinic in Gainesville VA @ 703-754-8387. Ask for Brian Dove and he will prescribe it for your Reef tank as it is a legitimate treatment for red bugs. hope this helps...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all! I just registered for the club but have been keeping reef tanks for about 7 years. I just moved back to Calvert County in Southern Maryland from Richmond. I am a Veterinarian in Owings, MD and am happy to help out fellow reefers.

Hello all! I just registered for the club but have been keeping reef tanks for about 7 years. I just moved back to Calvert County in Southern Maryland from Richmond. I am a Veterinarian in Owings, MD and am happy to help out fellow reefers.

Welcome!

Thank you very much for offering!

Welcome! Glad that you introduced yourself and hopefully you will be able to meet others here.

• 1 month later...

Ohh, would you be interested in doing a couple of necropsies on deep water fish that died mysteriously? They're frozen. I placed them in freezer bags in my freezer immediately after they died.

I can perform fish pathology if anyone is interested. Thank you for the welcome, I'm sorry for the delay in response.

Sure. One is issue is with fish the fresher the better as they begin to degrade rapidly. Even the thawing process is rough on the tissue. May be able to find some parasites, internal, if present.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great! I'll PM you. I suspect one died of damage from hookworms to the gills and the other two of bladder issues from not being decompressed properly. If so this will be easy for you to see. I have no idea what to look for. Thank you.

Sure. One is issue is with fish the fresher the better as they begin to degrade rapidly. Even the thawing process is rough on the tissue. May be able to find some parasites, internal, if present.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 11 months later...

Mr.703 - Interceptor is no longer being made so many people have now switched to Interceptor Spectrum. Not only does it have the Milbemycin oxime from the original Interceptor but it also contains Praziquantel in it. I don't think it is a very strong dose of Prazi but it might also help your fish with internal parasites. It can be bought online.