Red cyno

chris1017

I could really need some help here. I have had my 75g w/55g sump up for about 2 years now and can't get rid of this cyno. I bought the tank from a friend who left the hobby because he could not get rid of it either.

I have a light stock (2 occ. clowns, 1 ornate wrasse), I only feed every other day. I run an asm g3 and a phosban reactor. i have a k-4 and k-3 powerhead.I do weekly 5-7 gallon water changes with r/o water. My ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate are at 0.

I have tried eveything I could think of but still can't knock off this cyno. I have never allowed it to take the whole tank over but every few days it all over the sand bed and starting to creep onto corals and rock.

Is there something that I am missing, what elese can or should I do to stop this. I don't have any other real trouble with the tank at all except for some bubble algae wich is not really bad. what should I do.

thanks,

chris

Add refugium with macro algae or cheatomorphe and run GFO (granular ferric oxide) in a fluidized reactor

and make sure there is good flow with no dead spots in the display tank.

Also a high quality skimmer will help also.

Bulbs should not be over 9-12 months old

as last resort you can use ultra life red slime remover. It is reef safe and works but the cyano can come back if the original issue is not corrected.

David

Maybe you're providing too much light. How long do you run your lights, and will your corals tolerate a shorter photoperiod? If you don't have sps corals, you can probably cut back on your lights and that will definitely help.

I've used red slime remover, and I'm not a big fan. It's the antibiotic erythromycin, and I don't know what other, possibly beneficial, bacteria it might kill. Plus the cyano may just come back, as stated in the previous post.

Jon

I had some cyano a while back, and after numerous water changes, power head maxi-jet mods and new lightbulbs, I could not get rid of the cyano.

So I tried the red slime remover one time and it did remove the cyano. It made my skimmer go absolutely nuts, and now a year later no cyano. Now I have a black hair algae problem I inherited from a live rock purchase.

Check your TDS...chemiclean and the other products definitely works with no Ill effects on corals but if you don't fix the root of the problem it will come back..FYI oversized skimmers can all so be the problem(high ORP)...

Try out Brightwell's MB7 for a few weeks. The bacteria strains will out compete the cyano for nutrients. Seems to have worked for me. I think I did not have enough different bacterial strains due to dosing vodka for so long. This seemed to have fixed it. I don't have any scientific evidence however..

I would like to find a way to solve this without chemicals.

dav- I have done all the things you have listed and it just keeps comming back

jon- i currently run a 6 bulb nova pro but running for 12 hours but it is new and up until

this week only 2 bulbs were running for most of the time. the light i had been running

was a 4 bulb nova. i had this issue even when i changed out the stock bulbs for ati bulbs.

I have tried limiting the light but as i have heard and seen is cyno is not as light

dependent like algae are. but I have tried days of lights out with little results.

bkl- i have used red slime remover a few times when i first got the tank becaue

it covered the whole tank when i got it from my friend. It still keeps comming

back.

diver- skimmer is good size for tank. tds is fine though there was no difference it

it's out break with r/o or with tap, which i swithced to afeter no effect. though i have

started using r/o again.

chucelli- though i have not dosed vodka, i may give the bacteria a shot. is it

easy to find?

thanks for all the replies.

chris

My 240G has been up for almost 2 years - and there are places where I always have cyano - but not on the sand bed at all. My 33G frag tank has been up even longer - and I get cyano across the sand bed in one area - despite putting a separate powerhead in there just to point at that area. Any more water movement and the sand would all move to the other end of the tank.

I heard a 'very good result' from using slime remover yesterday. One dose, and it was gone for years. I'm tempted.

bob

i changed the sand bed when I got it. it is about 2 years old now.

i have tried blasting the sand so hard that it blows all the sand off

the front of the tank but it did not seem to make a difference.

chris

MicroBacter7 is not hard to find. You should be able to find it at any LFS which carries Brightwell products. It introduces "beneficial" bacterium strains to your aquarium.

Follow the directions for "high nutrient dosage" on the bottle and you should start to see a change within 2-3 weeks.

It's not a quick fix, but quick fixes are seldom good.

Edited by chucelli

If you go with adding the bacteria, don't try then also using a remover because it may just neutralize that added bacteria. I would try to not use a chemical remover because they can cause undesirable after-effects.

I am with you forrest, I try not to add any chemicals if I don't have to.

this is just driving me crazy. I would like to get deeper into coral husbandry

but find it hard to get past sofites when I feel the tank is unstable. I would

really like to get a few lps in there and mabey a few lps frags. Patience is key though.

I completely agree about not using chemicals too, but I had got too frustrated back then about my cyano problem. I think something was leaching from my live rock that was causing the red slime to appear in spots, so I tried the red slime remover one time. The skimmer had to be dumped a few times and the skimmate was a pinkish color. It has been over a year and I had no problems since.