How long for ich to die off?

sen5241b

(edited)

I know this question has been asked many times but I am hearing many conflicting arguments. The LFS person said from the last sign of ich on any fish its only 2 weeks. Others say as long as fish are present in the tank --even if the fish have no signs of ich-- the ich will stay present in the tank until you remove all fish, treat them and wait 6 weeks. "The ich will hide in the fish even though you can't see it on them."

Situation: I removed a fish with ich but the other 2 fish had no signs of ich and I left them in the tank. So, if no fish have visible signs of ich, how long before it dies off --or does it?

Edited by sen5241b

Honestly, I am becoming more of a believer that ICK is always present in your tank. Keep your water quality high and make sure your fish are not stressed (tank mates, diet, etc.) and you will be good to go. A cleaner shrimp and fish will help a little too. (I have a cleaner wrasse and he's fun to watch)

but to be on the safe side...

If you can, put all your fish in a QT and treak them with hypo (lower salinity about .004 each day untill you get it down to 1.009). Keep if there for a few weeks and then you can introduce them back into your tank. Some will say longer, maybe they are right. In theory if you remove all fish from the DT for 4 weeks the life cycle of ICK should run and with no host the tank should be ICK free.... Like I said, I'm starting to believe it's always there and will show up when the fish's immunity system is low..

I dont think it ever goes away... do you have cleaner shrimp and fish?

I know this question has been asked many times but I am hearing many conflicting arguments. The LFS person said from the last sign of ich on any fish its only 2 weeks. Others say as long as fish are present in the tank --even if the fish have no signs of ich-- the ich will stay present in the tank until you remove all fish, treat them and wait 6 weeks. "The ich will hide in the fish even though you can't see it on them."

Situation: I removed a fish with ich but the other 2 fish had no signs of ich and I left them in the tank. So, if no fish have visible signs of ich, how long before it dies off --or does it?

There is still a lot of urban legend surrounding ich, but the two following articles are a great summary, they reference scientific writings, and they have been subjected to peer review in the aquaria and scientific communities. I highly recommend you spend 20 minutes reviewing these articles, and keep them as a reference. Some of the points they make include:

- Ich symptoms (white dots, etc.) disappear on their own as a normal course of the ich cycle, only to reappear later

- Ich cannot exist indefintely without a host

- The most effective, proven treatments for ich are copper or hyposalinity

- It is possible to create an ich-free aquarium

- Just because your fish aren't covered in white spots does not mean your tank is ich-free

Reefkeeping article by Steven Pro

Part 1: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

Part 2: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/...ature/index.php

Advanced Aquaria article by Terry Bartelme

Part 1: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/mini1.htm

Part 2: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/mini2.htm

Part 3: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/mini3.htm

Part 4: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/mini4.htm

Part 5: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/mini5.htm

Jon

All very good info. But the question remains, if fish have NO signs of ich, then I assume they are not hosting the parasite at all and it will therefore die off, true? I dread trying to catch my six line wrasse.

Also, a tank may appear to have ich always present because it keeps getting re-introduced. I think the ich eggs (tomont or tomites?) are preserved in frozen foods. (I raised this discussion before on WAMAS). I've seen gamma radiated frozen fish food available.

Read the articles suggested by Jon.

Ich is a highly researched infection and the lifecycle is well established and understood. If there is no host for the parasite it can only live so long. There is no reason why ich needs to be "Always present" unless you are not willing / patient enough to allow the tank to be totally decontaminated. My tank was empty of fish for 10 weeks before I added any new ones. The new clowns and wrasse are fine. Now I have a newly purchased coral beauty in my QT with white spots on its tail. It will remain in QT for 6 weeks AFTER all signs of infection are gone. (Hyposalinity and every other day water changes).

yeah, how much do I want that fish in my display? A lot. But I know I need to wait. Last time all my fish died.

Once you read the research there is no guessing or opinions.

laura

Ich is a highly researched infection and the lifecycle is well established and understood. If there is no host for the parasite it can only live so long. There is no reason why ich needs to be "Always present" unless you are not willing / patient enough to allow the tank to be totally decontaminated. My tank was empty of fish for 10 weeks before I added any new ones. The new clowns and wrasse are fine. Now I have a newly purchased coral beauty in my QT with white spots on its tail. It will remain in QT for 6 weeks AFTER all signs of infection are gone. (Hyposalinity and every other day water changes).

yeah, how much do I want that fish in my display? A lot. But I know I need to wait. Last time all my fish died.

laura

I read it all. parts 1 and 2. Sounds like I need to catch the 6 line and the other fish and QT them becuase according to the article the ich can host the fish on a gill or fin where you can't see it.

True, but with the food it's so easy to reintroduced which is why I concern myself more with keeping the stress down

laura

just maintain a good diet of various foods add selcon (and garlic like fresh minced if you like for immunity boost) and get some skunk cleaners they will clean the gill of the fish and the fish does not seem to mind. i can catch mine slowing down and stopping for the skunk to clean it, even though it set up station right beside a borneman anemone.

thats my approach and it has worked for me. so far.

just maintain a good diet of various foods add selcon (and garlic like fresh minced if you like for immunity boost) and get some skunk cleaners they will clean the gill of the fish and the fish does not seem to mind. i can catch mine slowing down and stopping for the skunk to clean it, even though it set up station right beside a borneman anemone.

thats my approach and it has worked for me. so far.

You mean you did the above as opposed to removing the fish for 6 weeks in a QT tank for treatment? And were you able to later add new fish without ich resurfacing in the main tank?

If your fish is showing signs of ick, i would remove it and treat with hypo in a QT

You mean you did the above as opposed to removing the fish for 6 weeks in a QT tank for treatment? And were you able to later add new fish without ich resurfacing in the main tank?

yes and i even have a dsb. butt hat doesn't mean it may or may not work for you. the only fish that i have done this with are tangs, i guess i should of clarified at the start. but that was with all of the following fish already in the tank: 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 royal grammas, green chromis, and a sailfin tang. it might of helped the other fish being healthy with a varied diet like i do..... i think i read you had a six line....i think i would QT that guy....i only tired one but a stawberry pseudochromis i had beat him up and i lost him within the first week.

just remember we all can give you some good advice, but you have to decide which method works out for you(as it looks like your doing some good research). this has most likely worked for me either because of when i get a fish; i stalk it for a while and watch it eat to make sure it eats well or just dumb luck.

even if you QT make sure you feed the fish well in a low stress environment.

good luck, it looks like a snow day so time for some reef maintenance.