Tang Fight...Yellow vs. Naso

cbatkinson

Just added a small Naso Tang yesterday to a 75g tank with a couple of clowns and a Yellow Tang. As soon as I added the Naso, the Yellow Tang started to fight with the Naso for dominance. The Naso seemed uninterested and continued to take a pounding until it retreated to a safe zone behind the powerhead. I've since moved the Yellow Tang to a breeder net and am letting the Naso have full use of the display tank. Does anyone know if the two will ever coexist? I've tried rearranging the rock, but that hasn't seemed to work. I'm almost at the point of getting rid of the Yellow Tang and buying another one, with the hope that the new Yellow won't bother the Naso since, it will be new to the tank. Anyone have any advice?

Just added a small Naso Tang yesterday to a 75g tank with a couple of clowns and a Yellow Tang. As soon as I added the Naso, the Yellow Tang started to fight with the Naso for dominance. The Naso seemed uninterested and continued to take a pounding until it retreated to a safe zone behind the powerhead. I've since moved the Yellow Tang to a breeder net and am letting the Naso have full use of the display tank. Does anyone know if the two will ever coexist? I've tried rearranging the rock, but that hasn't seemed to work. I'm almost at the point of getting rid of the Yellow Tang and buying another one, with the hope that the new Yellow won't bother the Naso since, it will be new to the tank. Anyone have any advice?

My yellow and purple tangs don't get along well. The purple became an inhabitant of a small area of the tank, where he could meet the yellow with his tail. Tangs are surgeonfish, and have sharp blades in front of their tails. They WILL damage each other significantly. My purple was pretty badly hurt before he figured out how to handle the situation. 6 months or so later - they co-exist; the yellow realized if he started spending all his time chasing the purple away from food; he ended up not getting any. I think at this point, the purple could 'whup' the yellow - but he only pushes it so far. In the meantime, my pacific blue tang has outgrown both of them - and occasionally lets them know who is the REAL boss around the 240. But only when pushed, because he really still thinks he is a chromis - just a really BIG chromis. If the naso is smaller than the yellow - and not used to 'cage fighting' - his only option will be to retreat into a hole somewhere, sneaking out for food - until he's big enough to kick the yellow's butt. Trading the yellow in on a small one might be a good option!

bob

bob

I have a naso, yellow, purple, hippo, sailfin and clown tang. It is common behavior for them to initiate a new tang into the group... similar to gangs and fraternities... haha...

My only concern is that your tank may be too small for two tangs so they will fight for territory. If it was me I would have left them together and told them to figure it out on their own....

Is there a big difference in size?

The Naso Tang is a little larger than the Yellow Tang, but both are no more than about three inches. I thought about exchanging the yellow at the LFS, but they only take "donations"...so I'd have to give mine away and buy another one. Anyone know a LFS that will work out a trade, or have any other suggestions? Need to have something figured out soon...

I have a yellow, scopas and sailfin in my 180 gallon display (which is a bit larger than your75). The yellow's been with me more than a year. When I introduced the other two (smaller) tangs last month, the yellow tang chased the others around for a good day and a half to show the other two who's boss. Luckily, the rock work is such that the smaller tangs were able to retreat and keep distance between them. Since then, though, they've been happy to hang out together.

Edited by Origami2547

The Naso Tang is a little larger than the Yellow Tang, but both are no more than about three inches. I thought about exchanging the yellow at the LFS, but they only take "donations"...so I'd have to give mine away and buy another one. Anyone know a LFS that will work out a trade, or have any other suggestions? Need to have something figured out soon...

Roozen would maybe trade it out for you,

I have a Sailfin and Hippo. The research my 9 year old did before we got them suggest that so long as they are from different families of Tangs, things will work out. Sailfin is from the Zebrasoma and the Hippo is from Paracanthurus family.

In your case, the Yellow is from Zebrasoma and the Naso from the Naso family, so in the long ran you should be fine. A 75 Gallon may be too small for both to co-exist when they are full grown.

I have a Sailfin and Hippo. The research my 9 year old did before we got them suggest that so long as they are from different families of Tangs, things will work out. Sailfin is from the Zebrasoma and the Hippo is from Paracanthurus family.

In your case, the Yellow is from Zebrasoma and the Naso from the Naso family, so in the long ran you should be fine. A 75 Gallon may be too small for both to co-exist when they are full grown.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wanted to let you know that the breeder net workedd. After keeping the yellow tang isolated for a few days, everything worked out when I reintroduced him to the tank. No more tang fights....

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wanted to let you know that the breeder net workedd. After keeping the yellow tang isolated for a few days, everything worked out when I reintroduced him to the tank. No more tang fights....

Nothing like a good old fishy "time out" to restore law and order! :)

Tracy

Nothing like a good old fishy "time out" to restore law and order! :)

Tracy

A little off topic, but how the heck did you catch the tang to put him in time out. I have a Powder Brown and a Blue Spotted Kole Tang (Striatus) that will beat any new fish whether it is a goby or a butterfly in to total submission and usually death. I need to get them out of the display for a while as I want to add a trio or Borbinius Anthias and an Achilles Tang and know they will kill them before they can get established in the tank. If I can get them out I planned on selling/trading the Powder Brown and the Kole can live in my 40 Breeder Water Change Sump.

i have a pb tang and a sail fin...when i introed him they kinda schooled together, i guess cause the pb was like a 3rd of the sailfin size. the pb bullied my copperband alot for about 3 weeks. but they all live in harmony now and hang together.

when i had a yellow, sailfin and hippo together my coral beauty and flame angel would break up any spat those three had...it was the weirdest thing.